La Streisand’s masterpiece of middlebrow kitsch sentimentality, The Prince of Tides, finally gets the deluxe treatment (an earlier laser version was pressed but not released when the star requested revisions), and what a feast for fans it is. The auteur herself yaks nonstop on a second audio track, and there’s a whole side of extras-auditions, gag outtakes, and a formerly deleted end-credit song. For non-devotees, there may be less here than meets the eye; the most interesting insight Barbra Streisand offers into her creative process is that in one scene she made sure her blouse matched the chair she was sitting in. B
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Nick Nolte, Barbra Streisand, George Carlin, Blythe Danner, Melinda Dillon, Jason Gould, Kate Nelligan, Brad Sullivan; Director: Barbra Streisand; Author: Pat Conroy, Becky Johnston; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted January 27 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Supergirl': That big casualty 'weighs heavy' on Kara
- J.K. Simmons and Julie Delpy lead 'The Bachelors'
- Robert Schwentke drops out as director of final 'Divergent' film, 'Ascendant'
- Will Smith's 'Collateral Beauty' will go head-to-head with 'Rogue One'
- See 100 years of zombie evolution in time-lapse video
- Matt LeBlanc sitcom 'I'm Not Your Friend' gets pilot, series commitment at CBS
- 'The Magicians' postmortem: Does Julia regret nearly killing Quentin?