La Streisand’s masterpiece of middlebrow kitsch sentimentality, The Prince of Tides, finally gets the deluxe treatment (an earlier laser version was pressed but not released when the star requested revisions), and what a feast for fans it is. The auteur herself yaks nonstop on a second audio track, and there’s a whole side of extras-auditions, gag outtakes, and a formerly deleted end-credit song. For non-devotees, there may be less here than meets the eye; the most interesting insight Barbra Streisand offers into her creative process is that in one scene she made sure her blouse matched the chair she was sitting in. B
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Nick Nolte, Barbra Streisand, George Carlin, Blythe Danner, Melinda Dillon, Jason Gould, Kate Nelligan, Brad Sullivan; Director: Barbra Streisand; Author: Pat Conroy, Becky Johnston; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted January 27 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Life inside Prince's Paisley Park
- 6 first-listen highlights from Drake's 'Views'
- James Corden gets overwhelmed by Take Your Kid to Work Day
- Why 'The Good Wife' stars are about to have more fun together
- Exclusive: 'The Punisher' spin-off ordered by Marvel
- 'Scandal' stars tease finale in special 'Folina' blog
- WATCH: Geena Davis on female equality since 'Thelma & Louise'