Catherine Hickland, who plays Tess on ABC’s Loving, used to confine her singing to the shower. But after seeing Les Miserables 17 times, Hickland, 38, who hadn’t so much as sung karaoke, decided she wanted to become a songbird — and on Broadway, no less. Even her husband, All My Children’s Michael Knight (Tad), was skeptical. ”He said, ‘You want to sing on Broadway? That’s nice, honey,’ ” Hickland recalls. But last week, after months of lessons, she began a three-month stint as Fantine in Les Miz. ”This is without a doubt the most fun I’ve ever had,” she says, ”and the hardest thing I’ve ever done.” How will the singing soap star measure her success on the Great White Way? ”As long as I don’t fall into the orchestra pit, I’ll be happy.”
Posted January 27 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!