Catherine Hickland, who plays Tess on ABC’s Loving, used to confine her singing to the shower. But after seeing Les Miserables 17 times, Hickland, 38, who hadn’t so much as sung karaoke, decided she wanted to become a songbird — and on Broadway, no less. Even her husband, All My Children’s Michael Knight (Tad), was skeptical. ”He said, ‘You want to sing on Broadway? That’s nice, honey,’ ” Hickland recalls. But last week, after months of lessons, she began a three-month stint as Fantine in Les Miz. ”This is without a doubt the most fun I’ve ever had,” she says, ”and the hardest thing I’ve ever done.” How will the singing soap star measure her success on the Great White Way? ”As long as I don’t fall into the orchestra pit, I’ll be happy.”
Posted January 27 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agent Carter' Comic-Con poster revealed: Peggy lands in Hollywood
- ABC reviving 'To Tell The Truth'
- Robert Downey Jr., Paul Thomas Anderson nearing 'Pinocchio' remake deal
- Michael Keaton, J.K. Simmons depart 'Kong: Skull Island'
- Spring Awakening returning to Broadway—in sign language
- NBC cancels 'American Odyssey'
- 'Star Trek' documentary chronicles the casting of Captain Picard — exclusive clip
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Beyoncé, LL Cool J, Taylor Swift & More!