Catherine Hickland, who plays Tess on ABC’s Loving, used to confine her singing to the shower. But after seeing Les Miserables 17 times, Hickland, 38, who hadn’t so much as sung karaoke, decided she wanted to become a songbird — and on Broadway, no less. Even her husband, All My Children’s Michael Knight (Tad), was skeptical. ”He said, ‘You want to sing on Broadway? That’s nice, honey,’ ” Hickland recalls. But last week, after months of lessons, she began a three-month stint as Fantine in Les Miz. ”This is without a doubt the most fun I’ve ever had,” she says, ”and the hardest thing I’ve ever done.” How will the singing soap star measure her success on the Great White Way? ”As long as I don’t fall into the orchestra pit, I’ll be happy.”
Posted January 27 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- What EW staffers are thankful for this year
- Big Apple Circus performer juggles at 'Hamilton' pre-show
- The year in Shondaland: A look back with Shonda Rhimes & her leading ladies
- Colbert tackles Thanksgiving controversies on 'The Late Show'
- New 'Star Wars' spot returns us to last year's teaser
- Uzo Aduba explains what it's like to perform alongside Taylor Swift
- Jimmy Fallon and Nathan Lane play 'Kid Dictionary'