The only intrigue surrounding Kathie Lee Gifford singing the national anthem at the Super Bowl on Jan. 29 in Miami is whether it will be live or Memorex. Past performances, including Whitney Houston’s stirring rendition during the 1991 Gulf War, were prerecorded. ”We encourage performers to have a recorded track they can sing to,” says Bob Best, pregame show producer, who adds that Gifford has already taped a version of the anthem. ”It’s (protection) in case the performer wakes up with a cold. We leave it up to them if they want to sing it live.” What’s Gifford’s game plan? The singer would only say, ”I’m prepared to perform the anthem the way the NFL requests me to do it.” According to Best, the final decision won’t be made until the Super day.
Posted January 27 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- E! to air Joan Rivers tribute on one-year anniversary of her death
- See Nicole Scherzinger lose her mind over some 'freak of nature' magic
- 'You're the Worst' snags Echo Kellum in season 2
- President Obama documents his 'Running Wild' trip with Bear Grylls in selfies
- 'Are You The One?' season 3 trailer: See the new twist in action
- Theo Rossi joins 'Luke Cage' cast, Rosario Dawson will return as Claire Temple
- Garbage to reissue 20th anniversary edition of their debut album
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!