The only intrigue surrounding Kathie Lee Gifford singing the national anthem at the Super Bowl on Jan. 29 in Miami is whether it will be live or Memorex. Past performances, including Whitney Houston’s stirring rendition during the 1991 Gulf War, were prerecorded. ”We encourage performers to have a recorded track they can sing to,” says Bob Best, pregame show producer, who adds that Gifford has already taped a version of the anthem. ”It’s (protection) in case the performer wakes up with a cold. We leave it up to them if they want to sing it live.” What’s Gifford’s game plan? The singer would only say, ”I’m prepared to perform the anthem the way the NFL requests me to do it.” According to Best, the final decision won’t be made until the Super day.
Posted January 27 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!