Little Women’s Winona Ryder has tried to suffer for her art, but her size got in the way. ”I read biographies of the greats and they were so messed up that I thought I’d better mess myself up. But I couldn’t. I’m too small,” says Ryder, believing that, at about 100 pounds, her constitution is too delicate for a walk on the wild side. ”I tried being an alcoholic for two weeks, and it didn’t go over too well. I just can’t be a reckless person because of my body.” Ryder, who reteams with Little Women costars Samantha Mathis and Claire Danes for her upcoming film, How to Make an American Quilt (due for release this fall), says she’s over her angst. ”I didn’t understand that I could be normal and relax and still be a good actress. I finally figured it out — which is such a relief.”
Posted January 27 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- The Weeknd lives through a car crash in 'The Hills' video
- Vanessa Bayer, Fred Armisen, more appear in new Jenny Lewis video
- Neil Young thought Florence Welch was 'a man with a high voice'
- 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' reboot?
- Blink-182 v. Tom DeLonge: 'friendly divorce'
- Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan make messy love in Amazon’s 'Catastrophe'
- How Walk the Moon scored a summer pop hit in 'Shut Up and Dance'
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!