Little Women’s Winona Ryder has tried to suffer for her art, but her size got in the way. ”I read biographies of the greats and they were so messed up that I thought I’d better mess myself up. But I couldn’t. I’m too small,” says Ryder, believing that, at about 100 pounds, her constitution is too delicate for a walk on the wild side. ”I tried being an alcoholic for two weeks, and it didn’t go over too well. I just can’t be a reckless person because of my body.” Ryder, who reteams with Little Women costars Samantha Mathis and Claire Danes for her upcoming film, How to Make an American Quilt (due for release this fall), says she’s over her angst. ”I didn’t understand that I could be normal and relax and still be a good actress. I finally figured it out — which is such a relief.”
Posted January 27 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel