Little Women’s Winona Ryder has tried to suffer for her art, but her size got in the way. ”I read biographies of the greats and they were so messed up that I thought I’d better mess myself up. But I couldn’t. I’m too small,” says Ryder, believing that, at about 100 pounds, her constitution is too delicate for a walk on the wild side. ”I tried being an alcoholic for two weeks, and it didn’t go over too well. I just can’t be a reckless person because of my body.” Ryder, who reteams with Little Women costars Samantha Mathis and Claire Danes for her upcoming film, How to Make an American Quilt (due for release this fall), says she’s over her angst. ”I didn’t understand that I could be normal and relax and still be a good actress. I finally figured it out — which is such a relief.”
Posted January 27 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- How Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, and other stars are celebrating July 4
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's about Jace, Audrey, and a twist
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!