Woody Allen on the films of Woody Allen, that is. The interviews that fill Woody Allen on Woody Allen, conducted by the Swedish director Stig Bjorkman, took place in ‘92-‘93, amid the Woody-Mia media mayhem, but fortunately there’s no mention of Allen’s personal life. He talks about all of his movies through Manhattan Murder Mystery, passing from themes to techniques to music to influences without ever sounding pretentious or heavy-handed, which is more than you can say for some of the movies. In fact, Allen acknowledges something that has occurred even to those of us who don’t wish he had gone on making broad farces like Bananas, good as they were-that the dialogue in his early attempts at European-style films was often stilted and redolent of blurry subtitles. He has since done better at developing his own cinematic voice, combining comedy and whimsical fantasy with a melancholy that has more in common with Chekhovian wistfulness than existentialist fear and trembling. Allen’s matter-of-fact gloom is the most beguiling thing in the book. He notes his preference for clouds and rain, his difficulties in facing the world on bright, sunny mornings, and his firm belief that reality is overrated, although ”unfortunately, it’s the only place where we can get a good steak dinner.” B+
Woody Allen On Woody Allen Woody Allen on the films of Woody Allen, that is. The interviews that fill Woody Allen on Woody Allen, conducted by the Swedish...Woody Allen On Woody AllenMoviesWoody Allen Woody Allen on the films of Woody Allen, that is. The interviews that fill Woody Allen on Woody Allen, conducted by the Swedish...1995-01-27
Genre: Movies; Author: Woody Allen
Posted January 27 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!