A Man of No Importance starts out appealingly enough. But director Suri Krishnamma’s sentimental character study of Alfie (Albert Finney), a repressed bus conductor in 1963 Dublin, can’t sustain the weight of its own moral pretensions. Alfie is smitten in equal measure with his young bus-driving colleague (Rufus Sewell) and with Oscar Wilde; he’s also terrified of (to quote Wilde’s lover) ”the Love that dare not speak its name.” By the time Alfie comes out (big time, looking like Quentin Crisp) and his good neighbors in 1963 Dublin learn about sexual tolerance (reality check, please), the heavy life lessons have crushed the story’s eggshell thinness and dissipated Finney’s tender, masterful work. The cast, though, is crackerjack, including Brenda Fricker as Alfie’s spinster sister, Michael Gambon as a conservative butcher, and Tara Fitzgerald as a young woman who is not as pure as Alfie innocently wishes her to be. B-
A Man of No Importance A Man of No Importance starts out appealingly enough. But director Suri Krishnamma's sentimental character study of Alfie (Albert...A Man of No ImportanceDramaR A Man of No Importance starts out appealingly enough. But director Suri Krishnamma's sentimental character study of Alfie (Albert...1995-02-03
Genre: Drama; Starring: Albert Finney, Brenda Fricker; MPAA Rating: R
Posted February 3 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Trevor Noah to keep Jon Stewart's Daily Show producers
- 'Supergirl' taps 'Sons of Anarchy' alum as DC Comics villain Reactron
- Carly Rae Jepsen rewrites 'I Really Like You' for 'Comedy Bang! Bang!'
- Ice Cube says Dr. Dre is dropping a new album on Aug. 1
- New 'Faking It' trailer features a steamy Karmy kiss
- Keaton, McAdams investigate the Catholic Church in 'Spotlight' trailer
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!