Kurt McKinney is nothing if not honest. The ’80s-era General Hospital star has a candid explanation for why he returned to daytime after a hiatus of several years to play Matt the drifter on CBS’ Guiding Light: ”I like Matt,” McKinney says, ”but it was also about money. I could lie and say, ‘Oh, I missed the daytime family.’ But the truth is, I was tired of not working and having no money.” Though McKinney is now winning kudos for his character’s May-December romance with older woman Vanessa (Maeve Kinkead), for a while he was far more successful at selling cars than at nabbing acting work. ”But I never saw myself as a car salesman,” he says, laughing.”It wasn’t a profession. I was just doing it to make a buck. And you know, there are some honest ones.” Just like some actors.
Posted February 3 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Sarah Michelle Gellar wonders if daughter could be a ‘Future Slayer’
- Ronda Rousey pays tribute to ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper
- British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies at 72
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!