Kurt McKinney is nothing if not honest. The ’80s-era General Hospital star has a candid explanation for why he returned to daytime after a hiatus of several years to play Matt the drifter on CBS’ Guiding Light: ”I like Matt,” McKinney says, ”but it was also about money. I could lie and say, ‘Oh, I missed the daytime family.’ But the truth is, I was tired of not working and having no money.” Though McKinney is now winning kudos for his character’s May-December romance with older woman Vanessa (Maeve Kinkead), for a while he was far more successful at selling cars than at nabbing acting work. ”But I never saw myself as a car salesman,” he says, laughing.”It wasn’t a profession. I was just doing it to make a buck. And you know, there are some honest ones.” Just like some actors.
Posted February 3 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- What to expect (and what we hope) will be at this year's San Diego Comic-Con
- Kourtney Kardashian, Scott Disick break up
- A$AP Rocky apologizes for those Rita Ora lyrics
- Zach Levi on 'Heroes: Reborn': I wanted something that wasn't Chuck
- Wall Street Journal to publish first chapter of Harper Lee's 'Go Set A Watchman'
- Will this be Hollywood's biggest box-office year ever?
- See Amy Schumer audition for 'The Real Housewives' of any city
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!