If you want to buy a copy of the unauthorized biography of Tom Cruise, there’s just one hitch. It’s available only in Britain now that U.S. publisher HarperCollins has shelved plans to release it Stateside. Though the bio was packaged for HarperCollins by Rose Books, Inc., which is headed by scandal scribe Randy Taraborrelli, author Frank Sanello claims the publisher abandoned the project after receiving a letter from Cruise’s attorney. Not so, says Taraborrelli: ”I don’t believe it was pressure from Cruise’s people. They decided to go with a book about Whitney Houston instead.” Cruise power publicist Pat Kingsley says she and her client had no involvement in HarperCollins’ decision. ”I didn’t know we were so powerful,” says Kingsley. ”We just said we weren’t cooperating because Tom didn’t want a book written about him at this time.” Sanello says the book contains ”no smoking guns.” Adds U.K. publisher Robert Houghton, ”it’s really quite gentle, about a guy who struggled to make it big and did.”
Posted February 3 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!