If you want to buy a copy of the unauthorized biography of Tom Cruise, there’s just one hitch. It’s available only in Britain now that U.S. publisher HarperCollins has shelved plans to release it Stateside. Though the bio was packaged for HarperCollins by Rose Books, Inc., which is headed by scandal scribe Randy Taraborrelli, author Frank Sanello claims the publisher abandoned the project after receiving a letter from Cruise’s attorney. Not so, says Taraborrelli: ”I don’t believe it was pressure from Cruise’s people. They decided to go with a book about Whitney Houston instead.” Cruise power publicist Pat Kingsley says she and her client had no involvement in HarperCollins’ decision. ”I didn’t know we were so powerful,” says Kingsley. ”We just said we weren’t cooperating because Tom didn’t want a book written about him at this time.” Sanello says the book contains ”no smoking guns.” Adds U.K. publisher Robert Houghton, ”it’s really quite gentle, about a guy who struggled to make it big and did.”
Posted February 3 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt