If you want to buy a copy of the unauthorized biography of Tom Cruise, there’s just one hitch. It’s available only in Britain now that U.S. publisher HarperCollins has shelved plans to release it Stateside. Though the bio was packaged for HarperCollins by Rose Books, Inc., which is headed by scandal scribe Randy Taraborrelli, author Frank Sanello claims the publisher abandoned the project after receiving a letter from Cruise’s attorney. Not so, says Taraborrelli: ”I don’t believe it was pressure from Cruise’s people. They decided to go with a book about Whitney Houston instead.” Cruise power publicist Pat Kingsley says she and her client had no involvement in HarperCollins’ decision. ”I didn’t know we were so powerful,” says Kingsley. ”We just said we weren’t cooperating because Tom didn’t want a book written about him at this time.” Sanello says the book contains ”no smoking guns.” Adds U.K. publisher Robert Houghton, ”it’s really quite gentle, about a guy who struggled to make it big and did.”
Posted February 3 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Snooki debuts 'Yung Mommy' music video
- 'Homeland' elects 'House of Cards' actress as new president
- WATCH: John Krasinski comforts Margo Martindale in 'The Hollars' clip
- 'Elementary': 'True Blood' star to play Sherlock canon character
- New video examines 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'
- WATCH: A baby shower goes wrong in exclusive 'Killer Party' trailer
- Frightened Rabbit reveal why they don't want to play stadiums
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels