If you want to buy a copy of the unauthorized biography of Tom Cruise, there’s just one hitch. It’s available only in Britain now that U.S. publisher HarperCollins has shelved plans to release it Stateside. Though the bio was packaged for HarperCollins by Rose Books, Inc., which is headed by scandal scribe Randy Taraborrelli, author Frank Sanello claims the publisher abandoned the project after receiving a letter from Cruise’s attorney. Not so, says Taraborrelli: ”I don’t believe it was pressure from Cruise’s people. They decided to go with a book about Whitney Houston instead.” Cruise power publicist Pat Kingsley says she and her client had no involvement in HarperCollins’ decision. ”I didn’t know we were so powerful,” says Kingsley. ”We just said we weren’t cooperating because Tom didn’t want a book written about him at this time.” Sanello says the book contains ”no smoking guns.” Adds U.K. publisher Robert Houghton, ”it’s really quite gentle, about a guy who struggled to make it big and did.”
Posted February 3 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Jay Z apparently joined Instagram – then quit after only a few hours
- See Miley Cyrus meet Internet sensation Baddie Winkle before the VMAs
- Netflix will lose 'Catching Fire,' 'Transformers' at the end of September
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See 'Game of Thrones' fans visit filming locations around the world
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!