He died in 1973, but W.H. Auden is, forgive us, hotter than ever. Last year the British-born poet’s ”Funeral Blues” was part of the eulogy in Four Weddings and a Funeral (prompting a special reprinting from Vintage of ”Funeral” and nine other poems). Now his ”As I Walked Out One Evening” makes a cameo in Before Sunrise. Director Richard Linklater admits the inspiration came from Sunrise star Ethan Hawke. ”Ethan knows his poetry,” says Linklater. So will Auden become the new Kahlil Gibran? The executor of the poet’s literary estate, Edward Mendelson, thinks not. ”His songs have a kind of directness and emotional immediacy,” notes Mendelson, who says the estate was paid ”very little” for use of the poem. ”But still I was surprised to see a second (Auden poem) pop up in one year.”
Posted February 3 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'Hawaii Five-0' taps Julie Benz as Chin's love interest
- The Vision: See Paul Bettany assemble the synthetic Avenger
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!