The British writer-director Peter Chelsom works so hard to be charming (and wistful and jokey and touching and visually poetic) that he ends up with a labored version of Bill Forsyth’s magical realism. This overchewed bit of whimsy is about a young nightclub comic, Tommy Fawkes (Oliver Platt), who bombs in Las Vegas in front of his famous, overbearing comedian father (Jerry Lewis) and then travels to his childhood home of Blackpool, England-a seacoast mecca of vaudeville-to find his comic roots. Platt, a beetle-browed scene-stealer, gives a star performance. As soon as Tommy gets to Blackpool, though, the character recedes into a puddle of woozy subplots. Chelsom introduces a freakish parade of British music-hall eccentrics, but he doesn’t so much showcase the performers as fetishize them; the link between their oddball circus clowning and the audience-slaughtering nightclub style of Lewis and Platt remains vague and conceptual. Still, the film offers some disparate pleasures. One of the British performers is amazing-Lee Evans, a kind of manic surrealist mime-and Lewis does a smoothly funny job riffing on his own image.
Funny BonesThe British writer-director Peter Chelsom works so hard to be charming (and wistful and jokey and touching and visually poetic) that he ends up with a...Funny BonesThe British writer-director Peter Chelsom works so hard to be charming (and wistful and jokey and touching and visually poetic) that he ends up with a...1995-03-31
Starring: Jerry Lewis, Oliver Platt; Director: Peter Chelsom
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Person of Interest' post-mortem: Showrunners talk emotional finale and the return of Taraji P. Henson
- 'Agents of SHIELD': Inside the tie-in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!