Big, gawky, and freckled-pale, with a grin that’s so eager to please it’s a little scary, Muriel (Toni Collette), the heroine of this raucous Australian comedy, is an earnest misfit caught up in daydreams as overripe as the rest of her life is empty. Her favorite pastimes are staring wistfully into bridal shops and listening to ABBA-in particular, that delectable ice cream swirl of a princess fantasy, ”Dancing Queen.” Virtually every scene of Muriel’s Wedding cues us to chuckle at the superficiality of its heroine’s dreams. The trouble with the movie is that there’s nothing to Muriel but her false dreams: We never quite glimpse the woman they’re hiding.
Muriel's WeddingBig, gawky, and freckled-pale, with a grin that's so eager to please it's a little scary, Muriel (Toni Collette), the heroine of this raucous Australian...Muriel's WeddingComedyP.J. HoganPT106MRBig, gawky, and freckled-pale, with a grin that's so eager to please it's a little scary, Muriel (Toni Collette), the heroine of this raucous Australian...1995-03-31Rachel Griffiths
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Toni Collette, Bill Hunter, Rachel Griffiths; Director: P.J. Hogan; Author: P.J. Hogan; Runtime (in minutes): 106; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 31 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!