Big, gawky, and freckled-pale, with a grin that’s so eager to please it’s a little scary, Muriel (Toni Collette), the heroine of this raucous Australian comedy, is an earnest misfit caught up in daydreams as overripe as the rest of her life is empty. Her favorite pastimes are staring wistfully into bridal shops and listening to ABBA-in particular, that delectable ice cream swirl of a princess fantasy, ”Dancing Queen.” Virtually every scene of Muriel’s Wedding cues us to chuckle at the superficiality of its heroine’s dreams. The trouble with the movie is that there’s nothing to Muriel but her false dreams: We never quite glimpse the woman they’re hiding.
Muriel's WeddingBig, gawky, and freckled-pale, with a grin that's so eager to please it's a little scary, Muriel (Toni Collette), the heroine of this raucous Australian...Muriel's WeddingComedyP.J. HoganPT106MRBig, gawky, and freckled-pale, with a grin that's so eager to please it's a little scary, Muriel (Toni Collette), the heroine of this raucous Australian...1995-03-31Rachel Griffiths
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Toni Collette, Bill Hunter, Rachel Griffiths; Director: P.J. Hogan; Author: P.J. Hogan; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 106; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 31 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara handle awkward 'Fantastic Four' interview
- Lady Gaga gave Tony Bennett an enormous cake for his 89th birthday
- See Olivia Munn show off some serious Psylocke fighting skills
- Patrick Stewart really, really wants to join Taylor Swift’s squad
- 'Fantastic Four' cast says they still haven't seen the film
- Candace Cameron Bure shares new 'Fuller House' photo
- 'Deadpool' red band trailer to officially debut Tuesday on 'Conan'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!