The newborn sitcom ‘Pride & Joy’ produces a gag reflex if you’re tickled by jokes about diapers and placentas, then Pride & Joy (NBC, Tuesdays, 9:30-10 p.m.) may be the show for you. Julie Warner (Doc Hollywood) and Greg Evigan look-alike Craig Bierko (Madman of the People) play Amy and Greg Sherman, a pair of bland Manhattanites with a newborn son. Across the hall live the constantly squabbling Nathan (The Larry Sanders Show’s Jeremy Piven) and Carol Green (stand-up Caroline Rhea), parents of a baby boy and a never-seen 12-year-old son (note to all sitcom writers: Enough with the invisible characters already). Created by Family Ties’ Marc Lawrence, P&J tries to affect an air of sophistication with jokes about Donna Karan and Waiting for Godot. But mostly it wallows in infantile humor: ”All we need is a tiny little trench coat,” Warner cracks wanly as she watches her offspring play with himself. Piven strains to enliven his unemployed-stockbroker character, but he’s lost without Larry Sanders’ smart scripts. The otherwise unspectacular P&J may be remembered as the first sitcom to feature a spit take with breast milk. Then again, it may not. D+
Pride & Joy The newborn sitcom 'Pride & Joy' produces a gag reflex if you're tickled by jokes about diapers and placentas, then Pride & Joy (NBC, Tuesdays, 9:30...Pride & Joy The newborn sitcom 'Pride & Joy' produces a gag reflex if you're tickled by jokes about diapers and placentas, then Pride & Joy (NBC, Tuesdays, 9:30...1995-03-31
Lead Performer: Craig Bierko, Julie Warner; Status: In Season
Posted March 31 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Fifty Shades of Wayne' replaces Christian Grey with, yes, Batman
- From 'People': Ellie Goulding joins 'The Voice' as Adam Levine's adviser
- Justin Bieber really wants Seth Rogen to roast him
- Christine Lahti cast opposite Terry O'Quinn in ABC's 'The Adversaries'
- Zachary Quinto remembers Leonard Nimoy as a 'father figure'
- Wilmer Valderrama signs on to Fox's 'Minority Report' pilot
- 'The Good Wife' recap: No harm, no foul, and 'microbursts of contempt'