Jefferson in Paris (PG-13) In the painstakingly lavish new Merchant Ivory film, Thomas Jefferson (Nick Nolte) emerges as a figure of passionate contradictions. He’s the philosopher-saint of the American Revolution, yet also a cultivated aristocrat. He falls in love with the elegant Anglo-Italian artiste Maria Cosway (Greta Scacchi), yet he begins sleeping with his 15-year- old slave, the childlike Sally Hemings (Thandie Newton). Set during the years 1784-89, when Jefferson was U.S. ambassador to France, Jefferson in Paris brings the cocoon of prerevolutionary Paris to vivid, eccentric life. For all its historical fascination, though, the film gradually loses the pulse of its characters. Thandie Newton’s Sally is a beautiful, swaying flower who talks in dawdling Stepin Fetch-itese. There’s only one explanation for why Jefferson would get involved with her-lust-and that’s the one emotion that has no place in the Merchant Ivory universe. C ( 269, April 7) -OG
Jefferson in Paris Jefferson in Paris (PG-13) In the painstakingly lavish new Merchant Ivory film, Thomas Jefferson (Nick Nolte) emerges as a figure of passionate...Jefferson in ParisHistorical, DramaPG-13 Jefferson in Paris (PG-13) In the painstakingly lavish new Merchant Ivory film, Thomas Jefferson (Nick Nolte) emerges as a figure of passionate...1995-04-14
Genre: Historical, Drama; Starring: Nick Nolte, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ruth Prawer Jhabvala; Director: James Ivory; Producer (person): Ismail Merchant; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted April 14 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!