Jefferson in Paris (PG-13) In the painstakingly lavish new Merchant Ivory film, Thomas Jefferson (Nick Nolte) emerges as a figure of passionate contradictions. He’s the philosopher-saint of the American Revolution, yet also a cultivated aristocrat. He falls in love with the elegant Anglo-Italian artiste Maria Cosway (Greta Scacchi), yet he begins sleeping with his 15-year- old slave, the childlike Sally Hemings (Thandie Newton). Set during the years 1784-89, when Jefferson was U.S. ambassador to France, Jefferson in Paris brings the cocoon of prerevolutionary Paris to vivid, eccentric life. For all its historical fascination, though, the film gradually loses the pulse of its characters. Thandie Newton’s Sally is a beautiful, swaying flower who talks in dawdling Stepin Fetch-itese. There’s only one explanation for why Jefferson would get involved with her-lust-and that’s the one emotion that has no place in the Merchant Ivory universe. C ( 269, April 7) -OG
Jefferson in Paris Jefferson in Paris (PG-13) In the painstakingly lavish new Merchant Ivory film, Thomas Jefferson (Nick Nolte) emerges as a figure of passionate...Jefferson in ParisHistorical, DramaPG-13 Jefferson in Paris (PG-13) In the painstakingly lavish new Merchant Ivory film, Thomas Jefferson (Nick Nolte) emerges as a figure of passionate...1995-04-14
Genre: Historical, Drama; Starring: Nick Nolte, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ruth Prawer Jhabvala; Director: James Ivory; Producer (person): Ismail Merchant; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted April 14 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!