There’s a prickly comic tension to Stuart Smalley (Al Franken), the angelic recovery addict from Saturday Night Live. Nerdish and dim, with a syrupy lisp that makes him sound like a morose homosexual from the pre-Stonewall era, he wants to be a human Care Bear, but his 12-step-nurtured fuzzy-wuzzy ”compassion” is the most dysfunctional thing about him. (It’s what he has instead of a personality.) On SNL, Stuart can barely keep his composure long enough to get through one of his Daily Affirmation TV spots. It’s a trick, though, to build a feature-length comedy around someone who’s falling apart, even with his archetypally miserable Midwestern family-alcoholic-meanie dad (Harris Yulin), layabout brother (Vincent D’Onofrio), face-stuffing sister (Lesley Boone), and enabling mom (Shirley Knight)-on hand to push him over the edge. Stuart Saves His Family is a hit-or-miss satire in which Stuart, for too many scenes, comes off simply as a goofy neurotic butterball. The real problem may be that writer-star Al Franken ends up taking gentle pokes at habitual 12-steppers without really skewering their main mantra: that it’s the spiritual apex of life to be ”okay.”
Stuart Saves His FamilyThere's a prickly comic tension to Stuart Smalley (Al Franken), the angelic recovery addict from Saturday Night Live. Nerdish and dim, with a syrupy lisp...Stuart Saves His FamilyThere's a prickly comic tension to Stuart Smalley (Al Franken), the angelic recovery addict from Saturday Night Live. Nerdish and dim, with a syrupy lisp...1995-04-28Vincent D'OnofrioLaura San Giacomo
Starring: Al Franken; Starring: Vincent D'Onofrio, Laura San Giacomo; Director: Harold Ramis
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!