The answer (as you might have already guessed) is ”hot air” — which also helps inflate an editorial’s worth of insight into this 270-page book. Laufer finds that some hosts are, as President Clinton recently put it, ”purveyors of hatred.” But the author takes on Rush Limbaugh, Howard Stern, and their ilk with the firepower of a peashooter. The revelations are less than astonishing (Did you know that talk-show hosts are mainly concerned about ratings? Gasp!). Long quotations from radio dialogue, complaint letters, and other writers’ interviews make the targets more entertaining than their critic, who comes off like a minister providing titillating details of the dirty jokes he’s condemning. Laufer concludes with the characteristically namby-pamby exhortation to ”turn down [not off] your radio!” — then he paradoxically provides an appendix titled ”How to Get Yourself on the Radio.” If Laufer were on the air, you’d turn to another station. C
Inside Talk Radio: America's Voice or Just Hot Air? The answer (as you might have already guessed) is ''hot air'' — which also helps inflate an editorial's worth of insight into this 270-page book....Inside Talk Radio: America's Voice or Just Hot Air?Pop CulturePeter Laufer The answer (as you might have already guessed) is ''hot air'' — which also helps inflate an editorial's worth of insight into this 270-page book....1995-05-12
Genre: Pop Culture; Author: Peter Laufer
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!