The answer (as you might have already guessed) is ”hot air” — which also helps inflate an editorial’s worth of insight into this 270-page book. Laufer finds that some hosts are, as President Clinton recently put it, ”purveyors of hatred.” But the author takes on Rush Limbaugh, Howard Stern, and their ilk with the firepower of a peashooter. The revelations are less than astonishing (Did you know that talk-show hosts are mainly concerned about ratings? Gasp!). Long quotations from radio dialogue, complaint letters, and other writers’ interviews make the targets more entertaining than their critic, who comes off like a minister providing titillating details of the dirty jokes he’s condemning. Laufer concludes with the characteristically namby-pamby exhortation to ”turn down [not off] your radio!” — then he paradoxically provides an appendix titled ”How to Get Yourself on the Radio.” If Laufer were on the air, you’d turn to another station. C
Inside Talk Radio: America's Voice or Just Hot Air? The answer (as you might have already guessed) is ''hot air'' — which also helps inflate an editorial's worth of insight into this 270-page book....Inside Talk Radio: America's Voice or Just Hot Air?Pop CulturePeter Laufer The answer (as you might have already guessed) is ''hot air'' — which also helps inflate an editorial's worth of insight into this 270-page book....1995-05-12
Genre: Pop Culture; Author: Peter Laufer
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!