Never underestimate Sandra Bullock. The determined gamine’s While You Were Sleeping picked up speed in its second weekend, holding on to first place and increasing its gross as it went wider. Another sleeper, Ice Cube’s comedy Friday, debuted in second place, no doubt helped by its soundtrack — which broke into the pop album chart at No. 2 three weeks ago. Friday earned more than twice the gate (on half as many screens) of fellow newcomer Village of the Damned. Fate was even less kind to Quentin Tarantino, who proved no marquee draw in Destiny Turns on the Radio. Even Forrest Gump, already on video, had a higher per-screen average.
Posted May 12 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!