Never underestimate Sandra Bullock. The determined gamine’s While You Were Sleeping picked up speed in its second weekend, holding on to first place and increasing its gross as it went wider. Another sleeper, Ice Cube’s comedy Friday, debuted in second place, no doubt helped by its soundtrack — which broke into the pop album chart at No. 2 three weeks ago. Friday earned more than twice the gate (on half as many screens) of fellow newcomer Village of the Damned. Fate was even less kind to Quentin Tarantino, who proved no marquee draw in Destiny Turns on the Radio. Even Forrest Gump, already on video, had a higher per-screen average.
Posted May 12 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jennifer Lawrence vs. 'tabloid malarkey'
- 'Parks and Recreation': On the set for the last day of filming
- 'Sex Box' react: Enclosed encounters of the absurd kind
- '12 Monkeys' boss on Cole's fate (Spoiler Alert!)
- EW recommends: Bieber, baseball, and Broadway
- Casting Net: Leonardo DiCaprio to play multiple personalities in The Crowded Room
- Blood, Next, Heaven, and more ambiguous film titles that confuse Google