Never underestimate Sandra Bullock. The determined gamine’s While You Were Sleeping picked up speed in its second weekend, holding on to first place and increasing its gross as it went wider. Another sleeper, Ice Cube’s comedy Friday, debuted in second place, no doubt helped by its soundtrack — which broke into the pop album chart at No. 2 three weeks ago. Friday earned more than twice the gate (on half as many screens) of fellow newcomer Village of the Damned. Fate was even less kind to Quentin Tarantino, who proved no marquee draw in Destiny Turns on the Radio. Even Forrest Gump, already on video, had a higher per-screen average.
Posted May 12 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Sylvester Stallone become Rocky in this ultimate training montage
- See Po uncover the Secret Panda Village in new 'Kung Fu Panda 3' clip
- Setsuko Hara, Japanese screen legend, dies at 95
- Bryan Cranston moved to tears while discussing pivotal 'Breaking Bad' scene
- See photos from 'Arrow'-'The Flash' crossover with 'Legends of Tomorrow'
- Jon Favreau's 'Chef' is going Bollywood
- Eagles of Death Metal discuss Paris attacks in moving interview
- Taraji P. Henson's Biggest Moments in 2015
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year