Why do so many feminist movies about sexuality turn out to be as schematic and hostile as low-grade porn? There are moments in Erotique’s three-episode erotic fantasy when you can feel the filmmakers reaching for something lusty and true. The first segment, Lizzie Borden’s ”Let’s Talk About Sex,” entertains us with the goings-on at a Los Angeles phone-sex service — a joke done to subtler effect in Short Cuts, though it’s always good for a chuckle. In the second episode, ”Taboo Parlor,” directed by Germany’s Monika Treut, a pair of predatory Eurotrash lesbians pique our interest as they go out in search of a boy toy. Each segment, however, winds its way toward a thin, didactic kicker (the boy toy ends up paying for his pleasure by getting blown up). By the time the film lands in Hong Kong for Clara Law’s overly farcical ”Wonton Soup,” in which two long-distance lovers rekindle their affair via a sacred manual of sexual positions, the notion that sex and love could actually go together has come to seem a bizarre novelty, rather than a springboard for genuine erotic spectacle. C
Erotique Why do so many feminist movies about sexuality turn out to be as schematic and hostile as low-grade porn? There are moments in Erotique...ErotiqueDramaPT93MUnrated Why do so many feminist movies about sexuality turn out to be as schematic and hostile as low-grade porn? There are moments in Erotique...1995-05-19Bryan Cranston
Genre: Drama; Starring: Priscilla Barnes, Bryan Cranston; Director: Lizzie Borden; Runtime (in minutes): 93; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- Trevor Noah eyed as 'Daily Show' host?
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller Kate & Kate and More!