Heavenly Creatures is as intense and disturbing as the realf-life crime it re-creates. Set in 1950s New Zealand, the movie enters the fantasy world of Juliet (Kate Winslet) and Pauline (Melanie Lynskey), schoolgirls whose sensual bond is deemed ”unwholesome” by their parents. Caught up in their intricate mind games (the Camelot-inspired sequences are stunning), the girls plot to murder Pauline’s mother so they won’t be separated. The film’s most unnerving aspect is its reliance on the girls’ unerring (though warped) sense of justice. It is to director Peter Jackson’s credit that the shocking crime seems an inevitable conclusion to a breathtakingly vital riendship that careens out of control. A+
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Melanie Lynskey, Kate Winslet, Sarah Peirse; Director: Peter Jackson; Author: Peter Jackson, Frances Walsh; Release Date Limited: 11/16/1994; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Miramax
Posted May 19 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!