During her years as a stripper, Heidi Mattson mingled with the likes of loan sharks and their henchmen, saw a colleague’s new breast implant slip out during a floor show, and worked alongside a kindergarten teacher, a junkie, and an independently wealthy suburbanite. But most intriguingly, this flat-chested, working-class refugee from rural Maine put herself through Brown University by taking it off. What begins as a job for Mattson becomes a lucrative career, and she writes entertainingly about her adventures in Ivy League Stripper. Anti-intellectual to the core, Mattson gets in over her head when she tries to philosophize about gender and society, defensively invoking Camille Paglia’s reverse sexist fantasy that women’s eros makes them ”the dominant sex.” She’s more convincing as a feminist Horatio Alger who boasts, ”I packaged my biology and turned a profit.” B+
Ivy League Stripper During her years as a stripper, Heidi Mattson mingled with the likes of loan sharks and their henchmen, saw a colleague's new breast implant slip out...Ivy League StripperNonfiction, MemoirHeidi Mattson During her years as a stripper, Heidi Mattson mingled with the likes of loan sharks and their henchmen, saw a colleague's new breast implant slip out...1995-05-19Arcade
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Heidi Mattson; Publisher: Arcade
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Notary Publix' sneak peek: Jay Pharoah joins Kate McKinnon's series
- Weezer fan club single 'Everybody Needs Salvation' is now available to... everybody
- Kelly Clarkson, Ed Sheeran, more join Billboard Music Awards lineup
- George Clooney fights to protect his futuristic house in 'Tomorrowland' trailer
- Hear Lisa Loeb's new song '3,2,1, Let Go' from the movie 'Helicopter Mom'
- Watch LL Cool J really try to play Pictionary with Jimmy Fallon, Rose Byrne and Big Sean
- Stream Blur's album 'The Magic Whip' on iTunes First Play
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!