At first it seems odd that Anchee Min, late of Mao’s labor collectives, would-be Chinese film star, and recently famous in the West for her powerful autobiography (Red Azalea), would choose for her maiden fiction Katherine, the story of an American English teacher in China. After all, the many memoirs written by ex-English teachers of their Far Eastern experiences have become practically formulaic: Alien + Asia = Illumination. The difference here is in the variables. The story is told not from the teacher’s perspective but from her students’, and it is not the former who is released by the experience, but the latter — in particular one student, the narrator of the book, a young woman freed by her English class from the emotional and physical desert of a labor collective. This is an English-teacher-in-Asia novel as seen through the looking glass, and it’s a fascinating view. A-
Katherine At first it seems odd that Anchee Min, late of Mao's labor collectives, would-be Chinese film star, and recently famous in the West for her powerful...KatherineFictionAnchee Min At first it seems odd that Anchee Min, late of Mao's labor collectives, would-be Chinese film star, and recently famous in the West for her powerful...1995-05-19Riverhead
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anchee Min; Publisher: Riverhead
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- X-Files revival plans return of Walter Skinner, Cigarette Smoking Man
- Nick Offerman, Megan Mullally cancel Indiana show
- 'The Flash': THAT unmasked man on shocking Reverse Flash twist
- Mark Wahlberg to produce Boston Marathon bombing movie 'Patriots' Day'
- 'American Idol' alum Justin Guarini on how he became Diet Dr. Pepper’s Lil' Sweet
- Scott Weiland on his new album Blaster and the power of David Bowie
- 'Wolf Creek' filmmaker to direct James Gunn-scripted 'The Belco Experiment'
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!