The truth is that passion is abundant in My Family. Jimmy Smits, Edward James Olmos, Esai Morales, and leading Mexican actor Eduardo Lopez Rojas star; these men are at home with the words coming out of their mouths. The story (written by Nava and his wife, producer Anna Thomas) follows the family from Jose Sanchez’s arrival in Los Angeles in the 1920s, through the 1950s (when his son Chucho, played by Morales, rebels against the old traditions), and into the 1980s (when Chucho’s kid brother, Jimmy, played beautifully by Smits, grows into an angry and withdrawn man). All the acting is confident (Mexican-born Elpidia Carrillo, in particular, is luminous as a young Salvadoran woman married off to Jimmy to avoid deportation); all the accents, gracias, are right. My Family is one of those uplifting, life-affirming things you’d see on public television’s American Playhouse (it is, in fact, presented in association with the AP team, who previously helped produce Nava’s El Norte), and as such it’s unshakable in its inspirational intensity, with an earnestness that might jade the dyspeptic. But given a choice — between the faux interpretation or the real thing — la verdad wins out every time. B+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Eduardo Lopez Rojas, Esai Morales, Jimmy Smits, Jennifer Lopez, Edward James Olmos; Director: Gregory Nava; Author: Gregory Nava, Anna Thomas; Release Date Wide: 05/03/1995; Runtime (in minutes): 128; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!