No, The Sex of the Stars is not a celebrity T&A-fest. It’s a quiet, sympathetic Canadian drama about an astronomy-loving girl (Marianne-Coquelicot Mercier) whose beloved, long-absent father (Denis Mercier, no relation) finally returns — as a woman. Much to his credit, director Paule Baillargeon does not mine this provocative premise for laughs; instead, he uses it as a foil for all the prepubescent heroine’s sexual confusion and yearning. And boy, does she yearn; as her soulful expression deepens in each frame, and as the dialogue becomes tinged with self-consciousness, the film teeters on the brink of melodrama. It’s saved, fortunately, by the cast’s evident respect for their lonely, confused characters’ search for love and acceptance. B
The Sex of the Stars No, The Sex of the Stars is not a celebrity T&A-fest. It's a quiet, sympathetic Canadian drama about an astronomy-loving girl (Marianne...The Sex of the StarsForeign LanguageUnrated No, The Sex of the Stars is not a celebrity T&A-fest. It's a quiet, sympathetic Canadian drama about an astronomy-loving girl (Marianne...1995-05-19
Genre: Foreign Language; Starring: Denis Mercier, Marianne-Coquelicot Mercier; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 19 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- Jon Bon Jovi wrote a new song for Rutgers' class of 2015
- Nicki Minaj drops 'The Night Is Still Young' video on Tidal
- TLC yanks '19 Kids and Counting' reruns
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!