No, The Sex of the Stars is not a celebrity T&A-fest. It’s a quiet, sympathetic Canadian drama about an astronomy-loving girl (Marianne-Coquelicot Mercier) whose beloved, long-absent father (Denis Mercier, no relation) finally returns — as a woman. Much to his credit, director Paule Baillargeon does not mine this provocative premise for laughs; instead, he uses it as a foil for all the prepubescent heroine’s sexual confusion and yearning. And boy, does she yearn; as her soulful expression deepens in each frame, and as the dialogue becomes tinged with self-consciousness, the film teeters on the brink of melodrama. It’s saved, fortunately, by the cast’s evident respect for their lonely, confused characters’ search for love and acceptance. B
The Sex of the Stars No, The Sex of the Stars is not a celebrity T&A-fest. It's a quiet, sympathetic Canadian drama about an astronomy-loving girl (Marianne...The Sex of the StarsForeign LanguageUnrated No, The Sex of the Stars is not a celebrity T&A-fest. It's a quiet, sympathetic Canadian drama about an astronomy-loving girl (Marianne...1995-05-19
Genre: Foreign Language; Starring: Denis Mercier, Marianne-Coquelicot Mercier; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 19 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jimmy Kimmel makes peace with gamers after week-long feud
- Joan Rivers remembered during special episode of 'Fashion Police'
- Jimmy Kimmel unveils new 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- Jason Sudeikis plays Drinko with Jimmy Fallon on 'The Tonight Show'
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!