Gail O’Grady — Miss Abandando from NYPD Blue — gives a fine, measured performance in She Stood Alone: the Tailhook Scandal, a made-for-TV movie that is otherwise a waste of time. Based on the highly publicized 1991 sexual assault on a Navy admiral’s aide during a Vegas convention, Tailhook was doomed to fail. Network standards won’t permit us to see what actually happened to Lieut. Paula Coughlin (O’Grady) in all its nastiness as she was made to run a ”gauntlet” of sailors and officers, so the true nature of the crime is barely suggested. We’re told that once she filed a complaint and sparked an investigation, she was shunned by many of her colleagues. But the way Suzette Couture’s script conveys this is to pile on dialogue full of clichés: ”Women are here to stay”; ”I never asked to be treated differently”; ”That’s what happens to whistle-blowers.” Rip Torn, who plays Coughlin’s superior, doesn’t say anything that conveys his ambivalence as eloquently as one of his patented skeptical eyebrow-raisings. Tailhook turns Coughlin’s heroic fight against institutionalized sexism into nothing more than a generic little-person-fighting-the-System fairy tale. C-
She Stood Alone: The Tailhook Scandal Gail O'Grady — Miss Abandando from NYPD Blue — gives a fine, measured performance in She Stood Alone: the Tailhook Scandal...She Stood Alone: The Tailhook ScandalCrime Gail O'Grady — Miss Abandando from NYPD Blue — gives a fine, measured performance in She Stood Alone: the Tailhook Scandal...1995-05-19
Genre: Crime; Starring: Gail O'Grady; Broadcaster: ABC
Posted May 19 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on that 'uncomfortable' Twitter save
- Casting Net: Will Smith replaces Hugh Jackman in 'Collateral Beauty'
- 9 spoilers on 'Grey’s Anatomy,' 'Scandal,' 'Murder'
- NBC's 'The Wiz Live!' finds its Cowardly Lion
- ABC's 'Scandal' team on how they'd handle Donald Trump
- Lenny Kravitz breaks silence on #penisgate with text from Steven Tyler
- A 'Lion King' animator drew a perfect tribute to Cecil the lion