His love of the links almost got Samuel L. Jackson in some hot water. Well, actually, in some hot Waterworld. Following his Oscar-nominated Pulp Fiction performance, Jackson had to choose between guns and gills for his next role — either this month’s Bruce Willis actioner Die Hard With a Vengeance or Kevin Costner’s ocean epic. ”I had selfish reasons for wanting to do Waterworld,” says Jackson. ”I just really wanted to go to Hawaii and play golf for three months.” Jackson finally chose the shorter, 16-week Die Hard shoot and inadvertently avoided the much-troubled aqua-adventure. ”I lucked out,” he says, adding that in the end he got to tee off anyway. ”We ended up shooting Die Hard in Charleston for two months,” says Jackson, ”and I played golf in golf heaven — South Carolina.”
Posted May 19 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!