His love of the links almost got Samuel L. Jackson in some hot water. Well, actually, in some hot Waterworld. Following his Oscar-nominated Pulp Fiction performance, Jackson had to choose between guns and gills for his next role — either this month’s Bruce Willis actioner Die Hard With a Vengeance or Kevin Costner’s ocean epic. ”I had selfish reasons for wanting to do Waterworld,” says Jackson. ”I just really wanted to go to Hawaii and play golf for three months.” Jackson finally chose the shorter, 16-week Die Hard shoot and inadvertently avoided the much-troubled aqua-adventure. ”I lucked out,” he says, adding that in the end he got to tee off anyway. ”We ended up shooting Die Hard in Charleston for two months,” says Jackson, ”and I played golf in golf heaven — South Carolina.”
Posted May 19 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jill Scott says she no longer supports Bill Cosby
- 'Project Runway': Meet the season 14 contestants
- Amanda Peterson, 'Can't Buy Me Love' costar, dies at 43
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!