In The Ascent, a true (but torpid) World War II adventure, Vincent Spano plays an Italian POW who strikes a blow for national honor by escaping up the slopes of towering Mount Kenya. Right behind him is a British officer who just happens to be obsessed with conquering that same mountain. Waiting below is comely Rachel Ward, who is loved by both men. Sadly, their stories don’t add up to a hill of anything, especially when viewed against the majestic mount. Even seen on video, this natural wonder easily overshadows such tired melodramatics. C+
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mandy Moore talks ex Wilmer Valderrama dating pal Minka Kelly
- Alicia Machado had eating disorder when Trump called her 'Miss Piggy'
- WATCH: Trailer debuts for doc 'Sky Ladder: The Art of Cai Guo-Qiang'
- Shondaland stars unite to get out the vote
- David Ortiz goes undercover as a Lyft driver
- Sutton Foster and Stephen Colbert update 'Cats' with realistic lyrics
- How well do you know 'Zoolander'?