In The Ascent, a true (but torpid) World War II adventure, Vincent Spano plays an Italian POW who strikes a blow for national honor by escaping up the slopes of towering Mount Kenya. Right behind him is a British officer who just happens to be obsessed with conquering that same mountain. Waiting below is comely Rachel Ward, who is loved by both men. Sadly, their stories don’t add up to a hill of anything, especially when viewed against the majestic mount. Even seen on video, this natural wonder easily overshadows such tired melodramatics. C+
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Golden Trailer Awards 2015: The winners list
- 'Criminal Minds' finale react: Another BAU member takes their leave
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Julie Plec on finale, Nina Dobrev farewell
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!