In The Ascent, a true (but torpid) World War II adventure, Vincent Spano plays an Italian POW who strikes a blow for national honor by escaping up the slopes of towering Mount Kenya. Right behind him is a British officer who just happens to be obsessed with conquering that same mountain. Waiting below is comely Rachel Ward, who is loved by both men. Sadly, their stories don’t add up to a hill of anything, especially when viewed against the majestic mount. Even seen on video, this natural wonder easily overshadows such tired melodramatics. C+
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt