Never was a Brady Bunch fan, and didn’t bother to see the recent movie, so you should take my praise of Brady Bunch Home Movies with however much salt you like. The hook of this trip down memory lane is that the late Robert Reed (a.k.a. dad Mike Brady) gave the original TV cast Super-8 movie cameras one Christmas, and some of that footage has been incorporated into this salute. (It’s the kids making funny faces at each other, mostly — but you can sense budding hormones at work. When the girls bat their eyes at the camera, the frame shakes a little.) Writer-director Daniel Helfgott keeps things simple, interpolating home movies with quick profiles of each Brady star, and these vivid sketches reveal the actors’ personalities. The show concludes with a truly touching remembrance of Reed, who died in 1992 of AIDS-related causes. This is one reunion show that doesn’t exploit nostalgia but transcends it. B+
Brady Bunch Home Movies Never was a Brady Bunch fan, and didn't bother to see the recent movie, so you should take my praise of Brady Bunch Home MoviesBrady Bunch Home MoviesComedy, Documentary Never was a Brady Bunch fan, and didn't bother to see the recent movie, so you should take my praise of Brady Bunch Home Movies1995-05-26
Genre: Comedy, Documentary
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!