Never was a Brady Bunch fan, and didn’t bother to see the recent movie, so you should take my praise of Brady Bunch Home Movies with however much salt you like. The hook of this trip down memory lane is that the late Robert Reed (a.k.a. dad Mike Brady) gave the original TV cast Super-8 movie cameras one Christmas, and some of that footage has been incorporated into this salute. (It’s the kids making funny faces at each other, mostly — but you can sense budding hormones at work. When the girls bat their eyes at the camera, the frame shakes a little.) Writer-director Daniel Helfgott keeps things simple, interpolating home movies with quick profiles of each Brady star, and these vivid sketches reveal the actors’ personalities. The show concludes with a truly touching remembrance of Reed, who died in 1992 of AIDS-related causes. This is one reunion show that doesn’t exploit nostalgia but transcends it. B+
Brady Bunch Home Movies Never was a Brady Bunch fan, and didn't bother to see the recent movie, so you should take my praise of Brady Bunch Home MoviesBrady Bunch Home MoviesComedy, Documentary Never was a Brady Bunch fan, and didn't bother to see the recent movie, so you should take my praise of Brady Bunch Home Movies1995-05-26
Genre: Comedy, Documentary; Status: In Season
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ben Affleck is a math genius with a secret in 'The Accountant' trailer
- WATCH: 'Pretty Little Liars' stars show 'Harry Potter' love
- Joe Biden loves the word 'malarkey'
- HBO renews 'Ballers' for season 3
- Serena Williams answers 73 random questions for Vogue
- Bindi Irwin praises Ariel Winter's body confidence
- Garry Marshall's 'The Flamingo Kid' is going to be a stage musical
- 'Alice in Wonderland': Witticisms and Wisdom From the Disney Classic
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?