It may not rank up there with Scarlett O’Hara’s declaration never to go hungry again, but Crimson Tide star Denzel Washington says he too once made a vow. While a struggling actor in New York, he swore that if he ever became a star, he’d ”never wash another dish and never take another subway.” Needless to say, Washington hasn’t had dishpan hands or seen the inside of a subway for a very long while. But recently someone got the Oscar-winning actor to eat his words: While on a trip to New York, Washington’s son John David, 10, really wanted to see the Big Apple’s famous underground. What’s a dad to do? Says Washington: ”I walked down the stairs, said, ‘There it is,’ and we walked back up.”
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel