It may not rank up there with Scarlett O’Hara’s declaration never to go hungry again, but Crimson Tide star Denzel Washington says he too once made a vow. While a struggling actor in New York, he swore that if he ever became a star, he’d ”never wash another dish and never take another subway.” Needless to say, Washington hasn’t had dishpan hands or seen the inside of a subway for a very long while. But recently someone got the Oscar-winning actor to eat his words: While on a trip to New York, Washington’s son John David, 10, really wanted to see the Big Apple’s famous underground. What’s a dad to do? Says Washington: ”I walked down the stairs, said, ‘There it is,’ and we walked back up.”
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lucy Lawless maintains no 'Xena' deal, but she'd like one
- 'The Cosby Show' producer says series is 'kind of tarnished'
- Helen Mirren poses with three wax figures of herself at Madame Tussauds
- I found out 'Silk Stalkings' was on Hulu and now I can't stop watching
- Cate Blanchett and Robert Redford's 'Truth' gets October release date
- Salma Hayek on Donald Trump: 'I cannot be insulted by stupidity'
- Learn the story behind National Lampoon in 'Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead' trailer
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!