It may not rank up there with Scarlett O’Hara’s declaration never to go hungry again, but Crimson Tide star Denzel Washington says he too once made a vow. While a struggling actor in New York, he swore that if he ever became a star, he’d ”never wash another dish and never take another subway.” Needless to say, Washington hasn’t had dishpan hands or seen the inside of a subway for a very long while. But recently someone got the Oscar-winning actor to eat his words: While on a trip to New York, Washington’s son John David, 10, really wanted to see the Big Apple’s famous underground. What’s a dad to do? Says Washington: ”I walked down the stairs, said, ‘There it is,’ and we walked back up.”
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Box office preview: 'Don't Breathe' stalks top spot
- Rory Culkin's life becomes a nightmare in trailer for 'Jack Goes Home'
- Denzel Washington circling lead role in Dan Gilroy's 'Inner City'
- Hear Florence + the Machine's 'Wish That You Were Here'
- Ann Coulter, Ralph Macchio added to Rob Lowe roast
- 'Days of Our Lives' star Kassie DePaiva reveals leukemia diagnosis
- Final Five gymnastics team will present at the VMAs