Sharkophile or not, you have to like a documentary that pairs the requisite chomping-and-mauling footage with the strains of ”Mack the Knife.” That sense of playful discovery permeates National Geographic Explorer: Shark Encounters (one-third of a new set of National Geographic tapes on this topic), which profiles about a dozen species, debunking various myths along the way (e.g., sharks don’t die if they cease to swim). Plus we get to see underwater photographer Mike deGruy performing a frightening feat of derring-don’t: He re-creates — in a cage — the shark attack that maimed his right forearm. Possible nightmares notwithstanding, Shark Encounters is so full of wondrous undersea shots that you welcome the chance to be schooled about these fish. A
National Geographic Explorer: Shark Encounters Sharkophile or not, you have to like a documentary that pairs the requisite chomping-and-mauling footage with the strains of ''Mack the Knife.'' That...National Geographic Explorer: Shark EncountersDocumentaryUnrated Sharkophile or not, you have to like a documentary that pairs the requisite chomping-and-mauling footage with the strains of ''Mack the Knife.'' That...1995-05-26
Genre: Documentary; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!