The tribute disc Platoon’s producers say that director Oliver Stone had to down the better part of a bottle of tequila before he could deliver his commentary track. No wonder. Stone’s dramatization of his own Nam tour of duty remains as painful as shrapnel. Interviews with the cast, including Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe, Johnny Depp, Tom Berenger, and Forest Whitaker, reveal that in the name of authenticity, Stone and military adviser Dale Dye made the shoot a mix of therapy for themselves and ritual abuse for the actors. Riveting stuff, and as infinitely sad as a night spent reading Robert McNamara. A-
Genre: War, Drama; Starring: Tom Berenger, Willem Dafoe, Charlie Sheen, Keith David, Johnny Depp, Kevin Dillon, Richard Edson, Reggie Johnson, John C. McGinley, Mark Moses, David Neidorf, Francesco Quinn, Forest Whitaker; Director: Oliver Stone; Author: Oliver Stone; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MGM
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Is 'The Flash' doing Flashpoint in season 3?
- Fozzie Bear reveals who he gets mistaken for on '@Midnight'
- Kate McKinnon impersonated Ellen and Hillary to their faces
- 'The Real Housewives of New Jersey' season 7 trailer debuts
- Hillary Clinton plays 'Who'd You Rather?' on possible VP picks
- Paul McCartney: Kanye West is 'a monster' who 'inspires me'
- Hillary Clinton assesses Donald Trump's thoughts on women