The tribute disc Platoon’s producers say that director Oliver Stone had to down the better part of a bottle of tequila before he could deliver his commentary track. No wonder. Stone’s dramatization of his own Nam tour of duty remains as painful as shrapnel. Interviews with the cast, including Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe, Johnny Depp, Tom Berenger, and Forest Whitaker, reveal that in the name of authenticity, Stone and military adviser Dale Dye made the shoot a mix of therapy for themselves and ritual abuse for the actors. Riveting stuff, and as infinitely sad as a night spent reading Robert McNamara. A-
Genre: War, Drama; Starring: Tom Berenger, Willem Dafoe, Charlie Sheen, Keith David, Johnny Depp, Kevin Dillon, Richard Edson, Reggie Johnson, John C. McGinley, Mark Moses, David Neidorf, Francesco Quinn, Forest Whitaker; Director: Oliver Stone; Author: Oliver Stone; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MGM
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Harvey Weinstein is facing sexual assault allegations
- Evan Rachel Wood and Brandon Flowers go back to the 19th century for 'Can't Deny My Love' music video
- Death Cab for Cutie open up about 'Kintsugi' and conscious uncoupling with Chris Walla
- WWE's 'Wrestlemania' 31: The 5 best entrances and 5 most memorable moments
- Ariana Grande adds new dates and cities to The Honeymoon Tour
- 'Saturday Night Live' best host poll: The Rock flexes his comedy muscles
- Smashing Pumpkins explore PTSD in "Drum + Fife" video
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!