The tribute disc Platoon’s producers say that director Oliver Stone had to down the better part of a bottle of tequila before he could deliver his commentary track. No wonder. Stone’s dramatization of his own Nam tour of duty remains as painful as shrapnel. Interviews with the cast, including Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe, Johnny Depp, Tom Berenger, and Forest Whitaker, reveal that in the name of authenticity, Stone and military adviser Dale Dye made the shoot a mix of therapy for themselves and ritual abuse for the actors. Riveting stuff, and as infinitely sad as a night spent reading Robert McNamara. A-
Genre: War, Drama; Starring: Tom Berenger, Willem Dafoe, Charlie Sheen, Keith David, Johnny Depp, Kevin Dillon, Richard Edson, Reggie Johnson, John C. McGinley, Mark Moses, David Neidorf, Francesco Quinn, Forest Whitaker; Director: Oliver Stone; Author: Oliver Stone; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MGM
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Doctor Strange' reviews: Here's what the critics think
- Watch Lady Gaga rock through 'A-YO,' 'Million Reasons' on 'SNL'
- 'Man With a Plan': Matt LeBlanc on his 'bananas' new show
- 'SNL' sketch turns an innocent Halloween into a wild and crazy night
- 'SNL': Tom Hanks plays 'Black Jeopardy' as a Donald Trump supporter
- Leslie Jones talks website hack on 'SNL' Weekend Update
- Moby reflects on the iPod 15 years later: 'It felt like magic'