The tribute disc Platoon’s producers say that director Oliver Stone had to down the better part of a bottle of tequila before he could deliver his commentary track. No wonder. Stone’s dramatization of his own Nam tour of duty remains as painful as shrapnel. Interviews with the cast, including Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe, Johnny Depp, Tom Berenger, and Forest Whitaker, reveal that in the name of authenticity, Stone and military adviser Dale Dye made the shoot a mix of therapy for themselves and ritual abuse for the actors. Riveting stuff, and as infinitely sad as a night spent reading Robert McNamara. A-
Genre: War, Drama; Starring: Tom Berenger, Willem Dafoe, Charlie Sheen, Keith David, Johnny Depp, Kevin Dillon, Richard Edson, Reggie Johnson, John C. McGinley, Mark Moses, David Neidorf, Francesco Quinn, Forest Whitaker; Director: Oliver Stone; Author: Oliver Stone; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MGM
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 1D's Liam Payne announces third single from 'Made in the A.M.'
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade