The tribute disc Platoon’s producers say that director Oliver Stone had to down the better part of a bottle of tequila before he could deliver his commentary track. No wonder. Stone’s dramatization of his own Nam tour of duty remains as painful as shrapnel. Interviews with the cast, including Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe, Johnny Depp, Tom Berenger, and Forest Whitaker, reveal that in the name of authenticity, Stone and military adviser Dale Dye made the shoot a mix of therapy for themselves and ritual abuse for the actors. Riveting stuff, and as infinitely sad as a night spent reading Robert McNamara. A-
Genre: War, Drama; Starring: Tom Berenger, Willem Dafoe, Charlie Sheen, Keith David, Johnny Depp, Kevin Dillon, Richard Edson, Reggie Johnson, John C. McGinley, Mark Moses, David Neidorf, Francesco Quinn, Forest Whitaker; Director: Oliver Stone; Author: Oliver Stone; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MGM
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Dancing with the Stars' taps Alexa and Carlos PenaVega
- Box office preview: 'Straight Outta Compton' set for third weekend at the top
- O.J. Simpson documentaries to air on A&E and LMN
- 'Grandfathered' enlists JoAnna Garcia Swisher
- Things look dark in trailer for Kristen Wiig's new movie 'Nasty Baby'
- Bill Murray earns his 20 percent in 'Rock the Kasbah' trailer
- Daniel Craig's go-to hangover cure is ...
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!