Could Huckleberry Finn survive in late-20th-century America? Rule of the Bone, about a runaway teen, always seems to keep one eye on Twain’s classic. The narrator, 14-year-old Bone, is a small-time drug dealer in bleak upstate New York. His voice wavers poignantly between innocence and sad sophistication. He knows that ”if you’re not worth the paperwork adults won’t hassle you.” He imagines all the missing kids pictured on milk cartons ”living together in some squat like in Arizona.” Wry and resourceful, he outwits a gang of bikers and a kiddie-porn producer. So far, very good. But then he flies to Jamaica with a wise old Rastafarian, and murky melodrama takes over. An increasingly earnest Bone tries to convince us he’s having a learning experience when he’s really trapped in a Caribbean episode of Miami Vice, full of improbable sex, drug deals, and mayhem. Pretty soon he’s so grown up, he’s ready for college. Huck Finn would have been appalled. The reader is merely skeptical. B
Rule of the Bone Could Huckleberry Finn survive in late-20th-century America? Rule of the Bone, about a runaway teen, always seems to keep one eye on...Rule of the BoneFictionRussell Banks Could Huckleberry Finn survive in late-20th-century America? Rule of the Bone, about a runaway teen, always seems to keep one eye on...1995-05-26
Genre: Fiction; Author: Russell Banks
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!