Smoke & Blue in the Face, a collection of screenplays, a short story, an author interview, and assorted notes and asides, is calculated to make the reader feel, if not exactly there during the making of one of Miramax’s artsy, independent, bound-for-insider-glory-type films, then at least in on the process. The first film of the title, Smoke, written by Auster and directed by Wayne Wang (of Joy Luck Club fame), is based on a short story of Auster’s: a tale set in Brooklyn that features a cigar store, a writer, and an escapee from the ghetto. The second film is a chain of improvised skits that take place around the same cigar store. Screenplays are notoriously hard to read, and Auster’s are no exception. The first-hand accounts of the evolution of the films, on the other hand, are fascinating. It’s a dichotomy that perhaps brings this literary re-creation of a cinematic effort as close as possible to the real thing: a sometimes frustrating, sometimes obsessive, and sometimes inspired experience. A-
Smoke & Blue in the Face Smoke & Blue in the Face, a collection of screenplays, a short story, an author interview, and assorted notes and asides, is...Smoke & Blue in the FaceMoviesPaul Auster Smoke & Blue in the Face, a collection of screenplays, a short story, an author interview, and assorted notes and asides, is...1995-05-26
Genre: Movies; Author: Paul Auster
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Outlander' postmortem: EP Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on sexy, surreal season premiere
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany on season premiere choking and spanking
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!