Smoke & Blue in the Face, a collection of screenplays, a short story, an author interview, and assorted notes and asides, is calculated to make the reader feel, if not exactly there during the making of one of Miramax’s artsy, independent, bound-for-insider-glory-type films, then at least in on the process. The first film of the title, Smoke, written by Auster and directed by Wayne Wang (of Joy Luck Club fame), is based on a short story of Auster’s: a tale set in Brooklyn that features a cigar store, a writer, and an escapee from the ghetto. The second film is a chain of improvised skits that take place around the same cigar store. Screenplays are notoriously hard to read, and Auster’s are no exception. The first-hand accounts of the evolution of the films, on the other hand, are fascinating. It’s a dichotomy that perhaps brings this literary re-creation of a cinematic effort as close as possible to the real thing: a sometimes frustrating, sometimes obsessive, and sometimes inspired experience. A-
Smoke & Blue in the Face Smoke & Blue in the Face, a collection of screenplays, a short story, an author interview, and assorted notes and asides, is...Smoke & Blue in the FaceMoviesPaul Auster Smoke & Blue in the Face, a collection of screenplays, a short story, an author interview, and assorted notes and asides, is...1995-05-26
Genre: Movies; Author: Paul Auster
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!