Here’s a dilemma that could only happen in the late 20th century: A homely butcher named Erwin (Volker Spengler) impulsively undergoes a sex-change operation to win the man of his dreams, only to be dropped after the deed is done. Writer-director Rainer Werner Fassbinder’s treatment of Erwin’s identity crisis mixes postmodern satire and humor with Douglas Sirk-style pathos. Holding it all together is Spengler’s performance, which reaches beyond camp to the realm of tragedy. New to video, In a Year of 13 Moons is a must-see, though the squeamish should be warned: Spengler’s soliloquy at a meat factory, surrounded by slaughtered cattle, is disquieting, to say the least. B+
In a Year of 13 Moons Here's a dilemma that could only happen in the late 20th century: A homely butcher named Erwin (Volker Spengler) impulsively undergoes a sex-change...In a Year of 13 MoonsForeign Language, DramaUnrated Here's a dilemma that could only happen in the late 20th century: A homely butcher named Erwin (Volker Spengler) impulsively undergoes a sex-change...1995-05-26
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Ingrid Caven, Volker Spengler; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Outlander' First Look: Claire and Jamie take Paris in season 2
- 'Kick-Ass' writer Mark Millar creates a small-town superhero in his new comic 'Huck' – exclusive first look
- 'Once Upon a Time' First Look: The Dark Swan rises!
- Pitbull teases wild Vegas residency, new album
- 'Magic Mike XXL' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- Quentin Tarantino meets 'The Ten Commandments' in new comic: EW exclusive First Look
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse': See concept art of the villain's tomb
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!