Here’s a dilemma that could only happen in the late 20th century: A homely butcher named Erwin (Volker Spengler) impulsively undergoes a sex-change operation to win the man of his dreams, only to be dropped after the deed is done. Writer-director Rainer Werner Fassbinder’s treatment of Erwin’s identity crisis mixes postmodern satire and humor with Douglas Sirk-style pathos. Holding it all together is Spengler’s performance, which reaches beyond camp to the realm of tragedy. New to video, In a Year of 13 Moons is a must-see, though the squeamish should be warned: Spengler’s soliloquy at a meat factory, surrounded by slaughtered cattle, is disquieting, to say the least. B+
In a Year of 13 Moons Here's a dilemma that could only happen in the late 20th century: A homely butcher named Erwin (Volker Spengler) impulsively undergoes a sex-change...In a Year of 13 MoonsForeign Language, DramaUnrated Here's a dilemma that could only happen in the late 20th century: A homely butcher named Erwin (Volker Spengler) impulsively undergoes a sex-change...1995-05-26
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Ingrid Caven, Volker Spengler; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 26 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Justin Timberlake's illegal voting booth selfie is 'under review'
- 'This Is Us' preview: Creator Dan Fogelman on 'The Game Plan'
- Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid perform Justin Bieber's 'Baby'
- Bob Saget teases 'Fuller House' Thanksgiving episode with new photo
- Donald Trump says he has ‘no interest’ in Trump TV
- Australian 'Bachelor' contestants fall in love with each other
- Amy Schumer responds to backlash from 'Formation' parody video
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop