The same young hipsters who smoke cigars, drink martinis, and enjoy Nancy Sinatra records will groove on Mr. Showbiz, an online entertainment mag, with its faux-’50s graphics, its snarky prose, its attitude-packed fiction, and its lavish attention to Hollywood trivia. Those with a low tolerance for kitsch, however, are likely to find the site’s tone a bit desperate. Though well written, the celeb features are slight and invariably overwrought, the gossip is ho-hum, and the notion that a Hedda Hopper column from 50 years ago is worth your time is presumptuous. Even as the mix changes (some sections are updated daily, some weekly), the site’s preciousness endures. I know, it’s only show business, but a touch of earnestness would not come amiss. C
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!