The same young hipsters who smoke cigars, drink martinis, and enjoy Nancy Sinatra records will groove on Mr. Showbiz, an online entertainment mag, with its faux-’50s graphics, its snarky prose, its attitude-packed fiction, and its lavish attention to Hollywood trivia. Those with a low tolerance for kitsch, however, are likely to find the site’s tone a bit desperate. Though well written, the celeb features are slight and invariably overwrought, the gossip is ho-hum, and the notion that a Hedda Hopper column from 50 years ago is worth your time is presumptuous. Even as the mix changes (some sections are updated daily, some weekly), the site’s preciousness endures. I know, it’s only show business, but a touch of earnestness would not come amiss. C
Posted June 2 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!