John Waters, who directed Ricki Lake in her first feature film (1988’s Hairspray), says, ”I never met anybody who doesn’t like her.” But little in Ricki! The Unauthorized Biography of Ricki Lake indicates Robert Waldron ever met Lake, much less liked her. He writes like a bored schoolkid hammering out a report on a book he didn’t bother to read, and his research sounds like it was done by phone, studio PR sheets, and an old TV Guide. There is little about Ricki’s childhood, personal life, or what makes her tick. He does include a few interesting tidbits (like the fact that female impersonator Divine taught Ricki to walk in heels), but there’s more to this performer than meets Waldron’s uninvolved eye. D
Ricki! The Unauthorized Biography of Ricki Lake John Waters, who directed Ricki Lake in her first feature film (1988's Hairspray), says, ''I never met anybody who doesn't like her.'' But...Ricki! The Unauthorized Biography of Ricki LakeBiography, TelevisionRobert Waldron John Waters, who directed Ricki Lake in her first feature film (1988's Hairspray), says, ''I never met anybody who doesn't like her.'' But...1995-06-02
Genre: Biography, Television; Author: Robert Waldron
Posted June 2 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Read an exclusive excerpt from 'Warm Bodies' prequel 'The New Hunger' -- and see the cover
- A-Trak reveals the soundtrack to his life
- Label CEO says company has naming rights to Chief Keef's baby
- Celine Dion revives Las Vegas residency following yearlong hiatus
- Hugh Dancy and Gillian Anderson get philosophical in exclusive 'Hannibal' finale clip
- Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander stun in new 'Danish Girl' poster
- Get to know The Weeknd through his 9 best deep cuts
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!