John Waters, who directed Ricki Lake in her first feature film (1988’s Hairspray), says, ”I never met anybody who doesn’t like her.” But little in Ricki! The Unauthorized Biography of Ricki Lake indicates Robert Waldron ever met Lake, much less liked her. He writes like a bored schoolkid hammering out a report on a book he didn’t bother to read, and his research sounds like it was done by phone, studio PR sheets, and an old TV Guide. There is little about Ricki’s childhood, personal life, or what makes her tick. He does include a few interesting tidbits (like the fact that female impersonator Divine taught Ricki to walk in heels), but there’s more to this performer than meets Waldron’s uninvolved eye. D
Ricki! The Unauthorized Biography of Ricki Lake John Waters, who directed Ricki Lake in her first feature film (1988's Hairspray), says, ''I never met anybody who doesn't like her.'' But...Ricki! The Unauthorized Biography of Ricki LakeBiography, TelevisionRobert Waldron John Waters, who directed Ricki Lake in her first feature film (1988's Hairspray), says, ''I never met anybody who doesn't like her.'' But...1995-06-02
Genre: Biography, Television; Author: Robert Waldron
Posted June 2 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!