John Waters, who directed Ricki Lake in her first feature film (1988’s Hairspray), says, ”I never met anybody who doesn’t like her.” But little in Ricki! The Unauthorized Biography of Ricki Lake indicates Robert Waldron ever met Lake, much less liked her. He writes like a bored schoolkid hammering out a report on a book he didn’t bother to read, and his research sounds like it was done by phone, studio PR sheets, and an old TV Guide. There is little about Ricki’s childhood, personal life, or what makes her tick. He does include a few interesting tidbits (like the fact that female impersonator Divine taught Ricki to walk in heels), but there’s more to this performer than meets Waldron’s uninvolved eye. D
Ricki! The Unauthorized Biography of Ricki Lake John Waters, who directed Ricki Lake in her first feature film (1988's Hairspray), says, ''I never met anybody who doesn't like her.'' But...Ricki! The Unauthorized Biography of Ricki LakeBiography, TelevisionRobert Waldron John Waters, who directed Ricki Lake in her first feature film (1988's Hairspray), says, ''I never met anybody who doesn't like her.'' But...1995-06-02
Genre: Biography, Television; Author: Robert Waldron
Posted June 2 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bindi Irwin praises Ariel Winter's body confidence
- Garry Marshall's 'The Flamingo Kid' is going to be a stage musical
- Watch the exclusive teaser for 'Documentary Now!'
- Ice Cube to bring hip-hop 'Hollywood Squares' to VH1
- Mila Kunis bought her $90 wedding band on Etsy
- Director Edgar Wright shares his 1,000 favorite films
- Pink Floyd announce massive 27-disc collection covering 1965 to 1972
- 'Alice in Wonderland': Witticisms and Wisdom From the Disney Classic
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?