Calvin Trillin’s voice is so organic to the American landscape that reading Too Soon To Tell, his current collection of essays, (previously published in Harper’s, The New Yorker, and his syndicated newspaper column) is like hearing the echo of a relative you remember from long ago who would pontificate on just about anything. No matter the subject, Trillin turns the same entertaining, incisive, funny, and eloquent pen to it. Despite the varied subjects, there is a lot of sameness involved. Many of the pieces refer to either Trillin’s wife, daughters, or neighbors. Most rely on his deadpan sense of humor. Still, if he’s gotten a little lazy of late (he has, after all, been traveling the country and recording our foibles for over 30 years), he’s earned it. He is Trillin; hear him quip. A-
Too Soon to Tell Calvin Trillin's voice is so organic to the American landscape that reading Too Soon To Tell, his current collection of essays, ...Too Soon to TellEssaysCalvin Trillin Calvin Trillin's voice is so organic to the American landscape that reading Too Soon To Tell, his current collection of essays, ...1995-06-02
Genre: Essays; Author: Calvin Trillin
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!