Divertimento is director Jacques Rivette’s two-hour version of his four-hour La Belle Noiseuse (The Beautiful Troublemaker). It is proof that less is less. The story of a blocked painter (Michel Piccoli) and a headstrong young model (Emanuelle Béart) needs all four hours to explore the complex and painful interchanges between creation and inspiration. What had been a beautiful, compelling film, filled with erotic and emotional buzz and a truly painterly use of light, is now half a beautiful, compelling one. C+
Divertimento Divertimento is director Jacques Rivette's two-hour version of his four-hour La Belle Noiseuse (The Beautiful Troublemaker...DivertimentoForeign LanguageUnrated Divertimento is director Jacques Rivette's two-hour version of his four-hour La Belle Noiseuse (The Beautiful Troublemaker...1995-06-09
Genre: Foreign Language; Starring: Emmanuelle Baart, Michel Piccoli; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted June 9 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt