LouAnne Johnson, an ex-Marine-turned-inner-city high school teacher offers The Girls in the Back of the Class, her second book about teaching California’s worst-case kids (the first being My Posse Don’t Do Homework, which was made into the film Dangerous Minds, due out later this summer). When students doze in her class, Johnson paints their nails with white correction fluid. She drags them to plays despite snarls of ”’If anybody says ”Where goest thou” or any men got them leotard things on, I’m out of there.”’ The pseudonymous Parkmont High floats somewhere between humor and horror: One student fleeing a drug-addled gunman dives into the principal’s office, only to be told ”I’m in a meeting right now. You’ll have to wait outside.” Amid the drugs and blood, Johnson reaches after her dwindling female student population, mourning ”Girls wring their hands in quiet desperation for a few weeks, then disappear.” These jagged, elegant true stories ripple with giggles and gunfire. Required reading. A+
The Girls in the Back of the Class LouAnne Johnson, an ex-Marine-turned-inner-city high school teacher offers The Girls in the Back of the Class, her second book about...The Girls in the Back of the ClassPolitics and Current Events, NonfictionLouanne Johnson LouAnne Johnson, an ex-Marine-turned-inner-city high school teacher offers The Girls in the Back of the Class, her second book about...1995-06-09St. Martin's Press
Genre: Politics and Current Events, Nonfiction; Author: Louanne Johnson; Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!