Teetotalers and the politically correct won’t care for Barnaby Conrad III’s The Martini, an exhaustive tour of the martini world. The simple concoction of gin and vermouth that symbolized pre- and postwar sophistication is not nearly as popular as it used to be, though Conrad insists the drink is making a comeback. But you can’t take away the potion’s glorious past, even if its 19th-century origins are cloudy. In addition to history, tricks of the mixing trade, old ads, and martini-related essays, the book offers sippers proof that theirs is the Drink of the (pop-cultural) Gods: from James Bond (who prefers his shaken, not stirred) to Bette Davis in All About Eve (she had too many). Some may have loved too well. According to Conrad, Humphrey Bogart’s last words reputedly were: ”I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.” B+
The Martini Teetotalers and the politically correct won't care for Barnaby Conrad III's The Martini, an exhaustive tour of the martini world. The...The MartiniPop Culture, NonfictionBarnaby Conrad III Teetotalers and the politically correct won't care for Barnaby Conrad III's The Martini, an exhaustive tour of the martini world. The...1995-06-09
Genre: Pop Culture, Nonfiction; Author: Barnaby Conrad III
Posted June 9 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!