If there is an author north of the border who has managed to successfully translate the language of magic realism into the American idiom, it is Alice Hoffman. Her books — often tales of small-town loves, rivalries, tragedies, and epiphanies — are replete with miracles; angels rise from the pages with the regularity of the seasons; devils are as unexceptional as the occasional thunderstorm. The fantastic is as easy to digest as orange juice. And so it is with her latest novel, Practical Magic: Spells are cast, a dead criminal causes the rampant bloom of lilacs, and the two main characters — orphaned sisters named Gillian and Sally — have latent powers that allow them to see ghosts and inspire undying love. There are some nonmagical occurrences, to be sure: Sally gets married and has two daughters; they move to a suburb; Gillian hooks up with some bad men; Sally’s daughters learn about growing up. Yet the true magic of a Hoffman book is that it makes even the ordinary seem extraordinary. A-
Genre: Comedy, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Aidan Quinn, Camilla Belle, Stockard Channing, Goran Visnjic, Dianne Wiest, Evan Rachel Wood; Director: Griffin Dunne; Author: Adam Brooks, Akiva Goldsman, Robin Swicord; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted June 9 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Trevor Noah says his The Daily Show will focus less on Fox News
- Trevor Noah to keep Jon Stewart's 'Daily Show' producers
- 'Supergirl' taps 'Sons of Anarchy' alum as DC Comics villain Reactron
- Carly Rae Jepsen rewrites 'I Really Like You' for 'Comedy Bang! Bang!'
- Ice Cube says Dr. Dre is dropping a new album on Aug. 1
- New 'Faking It' trailer features a steamy Karmy kiss
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!