And ready to bore. Robert Altman’s Ready to Wear is a mean-spirited look at the fashion world, set on and around the Paris runways. It is filled with dog-poop jokes and a lot of hand-me-downs from other Altman movies, as well as the revelation — quelle surprise! — that nearly everyone in the business is a heel. The star-laden cast, including Kim Basinger, Marcello Mastroianni, and Sophia Loren, can’t manage ensemble playing amid all the ego massage. This frumpy old frock of a film pathetically tries to pass itself off as couture. Video, on which the quick and the slick thrive, makes the lack of oomph even more painfully evident. F
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Sophia Loren, Marcello Mastroianni, Kim Basinger, Rupert Everett, Richard E. Grant, Linda Hunt, Sally Kellerman, Stephen Rea, Tim Robbins, Julia Roberts, Tracey Ullman, Forest Whitaker; Guest Performer: Björk, Cher; Director: Robert Altman; Author: Robert Altman, Barbara Shulgasser; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Miramax
Posted June 9 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!