And ready to bore. Robert Altman’s Ready to Wear is a mean-spirited look at the fashion world, set on and around the Paris runways. It is filled with dog-poop jokes and a lot of hand-me-downs from other Altman movies, as well as the revelation — quelle surprise! — that nearly everyone in the business is a heel. The star-laden cast, including Kim Basinger, Marcello Mastroianni, and Sophia Loren, can’t manage ensemble playing amid all the ego massage. This frumpy old frock of a film pathetically tries to pass itself off as couture. Video, on which the quick and the slick thrive, makes the lack of oomph even more painfully evident. F
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Sophia Loren, Marcello Mastroianni, Kim Basinger, Rupert Everett, Richard E. Grant, Linda Hunt, Sally Kellerman, Stephen Rea, Tim Robbins, Julia Roberts, Tracey Ullman, Forest Whitaker; Guest Performer: Björk, Cher; Director: Robert Altman; Author: Robert Altman, Barbara Shulgasser; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Miramax
Posted June 9 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Evangeline Lilly reveals pregnancy on the 'Ant-Man' premiere red carpet
- Julia Roberts seeks justice for an unspeakable murder in 'Secret in Their Eyes'
- Here's a supercut of movie characters flipping the bird
- Jewel goes full '90s and covers Backstreet Boys' 'I Want It That Way'
- Robert Redford calls for action on climate change in passionate speech
- Rick Astley just rick rolled us with 'Uptown Funk'
- Emilia Clarke says her 'Game of Thrones' co-star has a haunted house