Ambition is something to respect in an artist, but Charles Burnett’s police-corruption drama The Glass Shield is such a maladroit piece of filmmaking that its weighty themes and sclerotic tangle of a plot end up making it a trial to sit through. The moment that J.J. (Michael Boatman), an African-American rookie cop, reports to work at a California sheriff’s bureau, it’s clear that Burnett is too busy stacking decks to stage a convincing dramatic encounter. The white officers are all scowling nasties (they might as well be wearing devil’s horns), and J.J.’s naiveté is so exaggerated he seems like the protagonist of a driver’s-ed training film. The story revolves around an innocent man (Ice Cube) who gets arrested for the crime of being young, arrogant, and black and is then railroaded on a bogus murder charge. Ice Cube holds the screen with his depressive fury, but when it comes to illustrating the nuts and bolts of injustice, Burnett is like a muckraking Ed Wood — his film lacks even the logic of its own conspiracy theories. D
The Glass Shield Ambition is something to respect in an artist, but Charles Burnett's police-corruption drama The Glass Shield is such a maladroit piece...The Glass Shield Ambition is something to respect in an artist, but Charles Burnett's police-corruption drama The Glass Shield is such a maladroit piece...1995-06-16Ice Cube
Starring: Michael Boatman; Starring: Ice Cube; Director: Charles Burnett
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!