Planning to see The Bridges of Madison County? Don’t forget your hankie. Audience members polled at Chicago’s Biograph theater on opening night declared the Meryl Streep-Clint Eastwood romance a bona fide tearjerker. The surprise? It’s not just women who are left sobbing in the aisles. In fact, 66 percent of the men polled said they teared up. ”I’m so embarrassed,” said a personal trainer, who admitted he dried his eyes with a used popcorn napkin. ”This got to me even more than Rocky III.” Of course, there were those who had a personal agenda: ”I went to this chick movie. Now my wife owes me Die Hard With a Vengeance.” Then again, every crowd has its cynic. ”I don’t get all these weepers,” sneered one guy. ”It’s a movie about an older guy taking pictures. There’s no action. There wasn’t even a Batman preview. I mean, it wasn’t like Field of Dreams. That made me cry. That’s about something big. Baseball.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'The Americans' bosses on Paige, her future, and the endgame after (spoiler!)
- Casting Net: Anna Kendrick joins Zac Efron in 'Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates'
- Will Ferrell, Kristen Wiig in Lifetime movie (no, really!)
- Kendrick Lamar goes back to Compton for 'King Kunta' video: Watch
- Katie Couric pulls off 'an amazing prank' on James Corden for April Fools' Day: Watch
- From People: Courteney Cox steals Erin Foster's socks in 'Barely Famous' clip
- 'Grey's Anatomy' finale: A kidnapping! A massive earthquake! A crossover!