Planning to see The Bridges of Madison County? Don’t forget your hankie. Audience members polled at Chicago’s Biograph theater on opening night declared the Meryl Streep-Clint Eastwood romance a bona fide tearjerker. The surprise? It’s not just women who are left sobbing in the aisles. In fact, 66 percent of the men polled said they teared up. ”I’m so embarrassed,” said a personal trainer, who admitted he dried his eyes with a used popcorn napkin. ”This got to me even more than Rocky III.” Of course, there were those who had a personal agenda: ”I went to this chick movie. Now my wife owes me Die Hard With a Vengeance.” Then again, every crowd has its cynic. ”I don’t get all these weepers,” sneered one guy. ”It’s a movie about an older guy taking pictures. There’s no action. There wasn’t even a Batman preview. I mean, it wasn’t like Field of Dreams. That made me cry. That’s about something big. Baseball.”
Posted June 16 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' season 7 winner talks about being the 'shadiest queen'
- Robin Williams' wife, children continue to sort out issues over late actor's estate
- Icona Pop join One Direction on their U.S. tour
- Caitlyn Jenner's mom: 'She's beautiful'
- St. Vincent OK after fall off speakers
- Eddie Redmayne set for 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Justice Department ramps up its investigation of theater chains
- 18 CBS star portraits from summer/fall shows
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Charlize & Seth, Alessandro & Bradley, Gwen Stefani and More!