Planning to see The Bridges of Madison County? Don’t forget your hankie. Audience members polled at Chicago’s Biograph theater on opening night declared the Meryl Streep-Clint Eastwood romance a bona fide tearjerker. The surprise? It’s not just women who are left sobbing in the aisles. In fact, 66 percent of the men polled said they teared up. ”I’m so embarrassed,” said a personal trainer, who admitted he dried his eyes with a used popcorn napkin. ”This got to me even more than Rocky III.” Of course, there were those who had a personal agenda: ”I went to this chick movie. Now my wife owes me Die Hard With a Vengeance.” Then again, every crowd has its cynic. ”I don’t get all these weepers,” sneered one guy. ”It’s a movie about an older guy taking pictures. There’s no action. There wasn’t even a Batman preview. I mean, it wasn’t like Field of Dreams. That made me cry. That’s about something big. Baseball.”
Posted June 16 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Rogue One' trailer gets 'Friends' treatment in mash-up video
- Drake sent Rihanna a message... on a billboard
- Twitter challenges users to #MakeASongTitleLonger
- Viola Davis opens up about struggling with childhood hunger in PSA
- NBC developing Noah's Ark... in space!
- Edward Snowden appearing live via satellite for 'Snowden' screening
- Joe Biden compares U.S. foreign policy to 'Ghostbusters'