For everyone who thought Josephine Hart’s Damage was the ultimate in psychotic love stories, Sa Femme: Or the Other Woman will be a revelation. It is, to start, only 119 pages long — and they’re small pages at that. Most paragraphs are only a few sentences. And yet a doctor manages in that small space to meet a construction foreman, break up with her boyfriend, begin an affair with that foreman (who is married and the father of two), go shopping, begin to hoard relics from their affair in her desk drawer, find out that the foreman isn’t, after all, married or a parent, normalize their relationship, and become obsessed in turn with a new patient. Each event is the literary equivalent of a jewel on a page: nouns instead of facets, adjectives in place of color. One can only assume that such sparseness is supposed to be viscerally powerful, and at times it is, but it is also overwhelming; Emmanuéle Bernheim’s Sa Femme is so stylized, it’s barely a book. One can only wonder what can possibly come next: a work in which each chapter is but a single word? C
Sa Femme: or the Other Woman For everyone who thought Josephine Hart's Damage was the ultimate in psychotic love stories, Sa Femme: Or the Other Woman...Sa Femme: or the Other WomanFictionEmmanuele Bernheim For everyone who thought Josephine Hart's Damage was the ultimate in psychotic love stories, Sa Femme: Or the Other Woman...1995-06-16Viking
Genre: Fiction; Author: Emmanuele Bernheim; Publisher: Viking
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!