While Rick Bass’ dazzling stories have earned star status in literary magazines and small-press anthologies, this collection of 10 works deserves a larger audience. The stories in In the Loyal Mountains, each told by an unnamed narrator, achieve the fluid unity of a novel. In ”The History of Rodney,” a young man and his lover exile themselves to a near-deserted Mississippi River town where giant pigs (descended from Union soldiers, according to local legends) wander the streets. In Montana-based stories like ”Days of Heaven” and ”Fires,” eccentric loners battle opportunists and resist enchanting women to protect their wilderness solitude. Bass’ fiction takes us to the borders of civilization, where we glimpse an untamed world of myth and mystery. A+
Genre: Animation; Starring: Mel Gibson, Irene Bedard, Judy Kuhn, Christian Bale, Billy Connolly, Linda Hunt, John Kassir, David Ogden Stiers; Director: Mike Gabriel, Eric Goldberg; Author: Susannah Grant; Producer (group): Walt Disney Pictures; Runtime (in minutes): 81; MPAA Rating: G
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creators break down the latest twist: 'It's an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Walking Dead' actor in subway rant clip
- Celebrities who share a birthday with the new Royal Baby
- Ruth Rendell, mysteries writer, dies at 85
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $84.5M Friday
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!