While Rick Bass’ dazzling stories have earned star status in literary magazines and small-press anthologies, this collection of 10 works deserves a larger audience. The stories in In the Loyal Mountains, each told by an unnamed narrator, achieve the fluid unity of a novel. In ”The History of Rodney,” a young man and his lover exile themselves to a near-deserted Mississippi River town where giant pigs (descended from Union soldiers, according to local legends) wander the streets. In Montana-based stories like ”Days of Heaven” and ”Fires,” eccentric loners battle opportunists and resist enchanting women to protect their wilderness solitude. Bass’ fiction takes us to the borders of civilization, where we glimpse an untamed world of myth and mystery. A+
Genre: Animation; Starring: Mel Gibson, Irene Bedard, Judy Kuhn, Christian Bale, Billy Connolly, Linda Hunt, John Kassir, David Ogden Stiers; Director: Mike Gabriel, Eric Goldberg; Author: Susannah Grant; Producer (group): Walt Disney Pictures; Runtime (in minutes): 81; MPAA Rating: G
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake accepts iHeart Radio Innovator Award: 'they called me weird'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time' tells Maleficent's child's story
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!