Daytime can be limiting. Just ask 1995 Emmy nominee Sydney Penny, who plays rape victim Julia on ABC’s All My Children. ”We still can’t say scumbag,” she says. ”We’re not exactly addressing the real world.” And her current story line, a will-they-or-won’t-they-do-it interracial romance, has been tame. But as cohost of the ABC clip show Hot Summer Soaps, Penny, with four other ABC daytimers, will deliver dialogue decidedly more real, since much of it will be improvised. Penny played young Meggie in The Thorn Birds but came to daytime prominence as a sex-abuse survivor on Santa Barbara. She joined AMC two years ago, ”tired of playing the victim,” but then her character was assaulted. ”They’re handing me this great story and I’m thinking, Hey, can’t I just jump out of a birthday cake?”
Posted June 23 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Andy Samberg provides Emmys hashtags #freepizza(no)
- Watch the MTV VMAs with EW's drinking game
- Fan theory suggests the Joker was hero of 'The Dark Knight'
- Everything Hannibal wore on 'Hannibal'
- Jeff Probst on the players he is surprised did not get voted into 'Survivor'
- Justin Timberlake and Jonathan Demme are making a 'space age music film'
- Everything you need to know about the 2015 MTV VMAs
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!