Lizzy Gardiner got oodles of credit for creating a few frocks for The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, but really, dears, the drag-loving participants in the annual New York City event known as Wigstock have been looking fabulous (in a fake-hair-piled-up-to-there and eyelashes-the-length-of-matchsticks way) for over a decade now. Using performance footage from 1993 and interviews through 1994, director Barry Shils appropriates the Woodstock format — the prep, the performances, the crowds, the music — to make Wigstock: The Movie. It is a sweet, home-made-looking, celebratory movie that says, essentially: Dress up, doll-face, you’ll feel better. No political message intended. The performers appear to be well-adjusted guys who are happy to chat about what dressing up like women means to them while applying eyebrow pencil with tender concentration. Star talent includes Lypsinka, Joey Arias (who does an awesome Billie Holiday), The ”Lady” Bunny (who’s also the organizer of the extravaganza), Deee-lite, and — who else? — RuPaul. B
Wigstock: The Movie Lizzy Gardiner got oodles of credit for creating a few frocks for The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, but really, dears, the drag...Wigstock: The MovieDocumentaryUnrated Lizzy Gardiner got oodles of credit for creating a few frocks for The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, but really, dears, the drag...1995-06-23Joey AriasDeee-liteJoey Arias, Deee-lite
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Rupaul, Joey Arias, Deee-lite; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted June 23 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Someone turns Kanye West best quotes into a free book
- Jessica Chastain and Bryce Dallas Howard hung out together
- 'Ghostbusters' adds Andy Garcia and Michael K. Williams to the cast
- Zack Snyder on the Superman villain that almost was
- How a real-life horror story inspired new graphic novel 'The Divine'
- First look at Batgirl in 'Batman: Arkham Knight's' 'A Matter of Family'
- What to expect (and what we hope) will be at this year's San Diego Comic-Con
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!