Lizzy Gardiner got oodles of credit for creating a few frocks for The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, but really, dears, the drag-loving participants in the annual New York City event known as Wigstock have been looking fabulous (in a fake-hair-piled-up-to-there and eyelashes-the-length-of-matchsticks way) for over a decade now. Using performance footage from 1993 and interviews through 1994, director Barry Shils appropriates the Woodstock format — the prep, the performances, the crowds, the music — to make Wigstock: The Movie. It is a sweet, home-made-looking, celebratory movie that says, essentially: Dress up, doll-face, you’ll feel better. No political message intended. The performers appear to be well-adjusted guys who are happy to chat about what dressing up like women means to them while applying eyebrow pencil with tender concentration. Star talent includes Lypsinka, Joey Arias (who does an awesome Billie Holiday), The ”Lady” Bunny (who’s also the organizer of the extravaganza), Deee-lite, and — who else? — RuPaul. B
Wigstock: The Movie Lizzy Gardiner got oodles of credit for creating a few frocks for The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, but really, dears, the drag...Wigstock: The MovieDocumentaryUnrated Lizzy Gardiner got oodles of credit for creating a few frocks for The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, but really, dears, the drag...1995-06-23Joey AriasDeee-liteJoey Arias, Deee-lite
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Rupaul, Joey Arias, Deee-lite; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted June 23 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Wayward Pines' exec producer Chad Hodge's post-show dish: Why (SPOILER) had to die
- Casting Net: Gabrielle Union heading to Jamie Foxx action film 'Sleepless Night'
- 'The View' eyeing two new cohosts?
- 'The Help' director Tate Taylor to helm 'Girl on the Train'
- Pete Davidson live tweets his 'Harry Potter' marathon, gives 'dope as f---' review
- Reese Witherspoon as Tinker Bell: Disney developing 'Peter Pan' spinoff 'Tink'
- Molest claim vs. Josh Duggar; family says...
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!