Promoting a weird kind of worship, this fortune-telling program combines elements of New Age and the Dark Ages. Like the ancient alchemists, you try to find the formula that will turn your life into gold. Click on intricately animated tarot-style cards. Get ”instant answers to life’s questions.” Sure, a lot of the do-it-yourself philosophy reads like so much mumbo jumbo. But The Alchemist drives home the point that there are new gods in our lives beyond the TV set. B
Posted June 30 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Ben Stiller's parody Super Bowl ad for 'female Viagra'
- Macklemore brings 'White Privilege II' to 'Colbert'
- Samantha Bee makes Werner Herzog-style mini doc to mock Jeb Bush
- 'Supergirl': That big casualty 'weighs heavy' on Kara
- J.K. Simmons and Julie Delpy lead 'The Bachelors'
- Robert Schwentke drops out as director of final 'Divergent' film, 'Ascendant'
- Will Smith's 'Collateral Beauty' will go head-to-head with 'Rogue One'