It’s really a shame that George Mair’s Bette is virtually unreadable. Bette Midler, the subject of this poorly written biography, is, in fact, a fairly compelling woman who has balanced a colorful life with a very strong (though uneven) career. Growing up in Hawaii in the 1950s, Midler — born into one of the area’s few Jewish families — believed she was a social and cultural outcast, feelings that led her to show business. In the 1970s, she fell under the spell of Svengali-like manager Aaron Russo, who was a factor in her brush with emotional destruction. In the ’80s, she married Martin von Haselberg, an avant-garde performance artist with whom she had a daughter, Sophie. In each era, Midler, now 49, remained fiercely protective of her remarkably distinctive and potent talent. To its credit, Bette is crammed with anecdotes and quotes from some of Midler’s old friends and colleagues (some of the reporting is culled from previously published books and profiles). But the book feels much more like an unsophisticated high school project than a subtly crafted celebrity biography; the Divine Miss M deserves much better. D
Bette It's really a shame that George Mair's Bette is virtually unreadable. Bette Midler, the subject of this poorly written biography, is,...BetteBiographyGeorge Mair It's really a shame that George Mair's Bette is virtually unreadable. Bette Midler, the subject of this poorly written biography, is,...1995-06-30Birch Lane Press
Genre: Biography; Author: George Mair; Publisher: Birch Lane Press
Posted June 30 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- Sony reaches settlement in hacking lawsuits
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!