Incredulity is the pertinent word for The Incredibly True Adventure of 2 Girls In Love. Maria Maggenti’s unexceptional lesbian fantasy is a movie that coasts for far too many miles on the current vogue for films about girls who love girls. Laurel Holloman plays Randy, a boyish loner (think Julie Harris in The Member of the Wedding) who lives in working-class disarray with her lesbian aunt (and said aunt’s girlfriend, and ex-girlfriend), and who’s an outcast in her high school. Nicole Paker plays her classmate Evie — beautiful, cultured, affluent, popular, and black. The two meet, they hold hands, they Do It, they attempt to run away. The acting is amateurish, the dialogue is stiff, the secondary characters are caricatures, the attempts at humor are clumsy, and (for those finicky about character development, even in a lighthearted comedy), the attraction between these two isn’t believable for a second. On the plus side, the movie is as lightweight and message-less as a low-budget, soft-core, hotel pay-per-view selection. It’s nice that a lesbian love story now has as much right to be an apolitical clunker as a straight romance. C
The Incredibly True Adventure of 2 Girls in Love Incredulity is the pertinent word for The Incredibly True Adventure of 2 Girls In Love. Maria Maggenti's unexceptional lesbian fantasy...The Incredibly True Adventure of 2 Girls in LoveDrama, Comedy, RomanceMaria MaggentiR Incredulity is the pertinent word for The Incredibly True Adventure of 2 Girls In Love. Maria Maggenti's unexceptional lesbian fantasy...1995-06-30Fine Line Features
Genre: Drama, Comedy, Romance; Starring: Laurel Holloman, Nicole Parker; Director: Maria Maggenti; Author: Maria Maggenti; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fine Line Features
Posted June 30 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Quantico' boss talks the agent vs. analysts dynamic, teases next week's episode
- Josh Stamberg on going full frontal on 'The Affair': 'It's a weird day at work'
- Did the 'Fear the Walking Dead' season finale satisfy?
- See the new trailer for Martin Scorsese's HBO series, 'Vinyl'
- 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine': The 9 best lines from 'The Funeral'
- How 'Blindspot' is hiding more clues in plain sight
- Goo Goo Dolls announce 'A Boy Named Goo' 20th anniversary release