Less than a year before his death in 1989, the photographer Robert Mapplethorpe — renowned for his homoerotic, S & M, and floral stills — agreed to this biography. He was, in other words, a cooperative and available subject, a combination that’s become increasingly rare in the world of profiling famous lives. Patricia Morrisroe takes Mapplethorpe: A Biography from his miserable childhood in a conservative Queens, N.Y., neighborhood, through his early artistic forays at Pratt Institute, his friendship with the rock writer/poet Patti Smith, his adventures in the gay subculture of Greenwich Village, his conquest of the art world, and his death from AIDS. Morrisroe sacrifices the immediacy that makes for an absorbing story in favor of the distance that allows for scholarly judgment. B
Mapplethorpe: A Biography Less than a year before his death in 1989, the photographer Robert Mapplethorpe — renowned for his homoerotic, S & M, and floral stills —...Mapplethorpe: A BiographyBiography, Pop CulturePatricia Morrisroe Less than a year before his death in 1989, the photographer Robert Mapplethorpe — renowned for his homoerotic, S & M, and floral stills —...1995-06-30Random House
Genre: Biography, Pop Culture; Author: Patricia Morrisroe; Publisher: Random House
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage spotlight: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!