Less than a year before his death in 1989, the photographer Robert Mapplethorpe — renowned for his homoerotic, S & M, and floral stills — agreed to this biography. He was, in other words, a cooperative and available subject, a combination that’s become increasingly rare in the world of profiling famous lives. Patricia Morrisroe takes Mapplethorpe: A Biography from his miserable childhood in a conservative Queens, N.Y., neighborhood, through his early artistic forays at Pratt Institute, his friendship with the rock writer/poet Patti Smith, his adventures in the gay subculture of Greenwich Village, his conquest of the art world, and his death from AIDS. Morrisroe sacrifices the immediacy that makes for an absorbing story in favor of the distance that allows for scholarly judgment. B
Mapplethorpe: A Biography Less than a year before his death in 1989, the photographer Robert Mapplethorpe — renowned for his homoerotic, S & M, and floral stills —...Mapplethorpe: A BiographyBiography, Pop CulturePatricia Morrisroe Less than a year before his death in 1989, the photographer Robert Mapplethorpe — renowned for his homoerotic, S & M, and floral stills —...1995-06-30Random House
Genre: Biography, Pop Culture; Author: Patricia Morrisroe; Publisher: Random House
Posted June 30 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- Venice Film Festival premiere of star-studded Martin Scorsese short canceled
- Taylor Swift teases 'Wildest Dreams' video with pic of Scott Eastwood
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!